primary tensioner on a evolution comp eliminator

Started by dieselbeef, February 13, 2022, 11:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselbeef

2017 breakout..103.... changed to the comp eliminator with a 30t primary sprocket.

the factory tensioner seemed tooo tight when i disass it...wasnt wanting to put it back..like to have viewsan auto tensioner but theres so many and i spent hrs on here reading threads but most are old..

any exp with the hydraulic ones?   haydens still break the springs...the bb 125 looks good but mixed reviews

dieselbeef

hayden m6 seems to be the choice where i can get answers..........

dieselbeef

98fxstc

I was happy with my M6 until the springs broke.
Then I noticed the cracks in the shoe, some break up.
I went with Rbabos' mod.

Wookie3011

Quote from: 98fxstc on February 15, 2022, 12:16:16 PMI was happy with my M6 until the springs broke.
I went with Rbabos' mod.

What's this Mod you speak of? A search returned nothing. Thanks

jmorton10

I can tell you from experience a few tensioners NOT to use.  I bent the hell out of two Baker units, had an M6 fall apart, & had problems with the HB hydraulic unit.  I forget which manual unit this is (might be the twin power) shown here with a 30t compensator eliminator/Bandit clutch & Trask basket as I have three of them that all look pretty much the same, but they have all held up well to some serious abuse lol.

~John 
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

A lot of posters like to tack weld the stock auto tensioner in place after finding the ideal tension setting.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

jmorton10

Check my post in the Man-O-War compensator thread.

~John

Wookie3011

Ok, I did see that in alot of the threads. I Really didn't want to do that. Theres got to be a manual tensioner out there that does a good job on high HP applications. Thanks

Chief0299

Quote from: jmorton10 on February 18, 2022, 01:29:33 AMI can tell you from experience a few tensioners NOT to use.  I bent the hell out of two Baker units, had an M6 fall apart, & had problems with the HB hydraulic unit.  I forget which manual unit this is (might be the twin power) shown here with a 30t compensator eliminator/Bandit clutch & Trask basket as I have three of them that all look pretty much the same, but they have all held up well to some serious abuse lol.

~John 

It looks like the twin power. Do you get any chain slap noise? When I installed a solic sprocket, I used the chain tensioner that came with it (bought from drag specialties, don't remember the brand). It makes more noise now than it did when the comp was. I am seriously considering putting the factory auto tensioner back in with the spot weld modification. If this is worth the money, I wouldn't mind purchasing one.

dieselbeef

i used the hayden...highly recommend the comp eliminator gearing change..'fn bike gits it now..roll on is much much better

jmorton10

The Hayden is a piece of junk.

I had one fall apart & have replaced two other defective ones for buddies of mine.

~John

jls 64

Quote from: jmorton10 on February 22, 2022, 05:25:07 PMThe Hayden is a piece of junk.

I had one fall apart & have replaced two other defective ones for buddies of mine.

~John

:agree:
js

98fxstc

Quote from: Wookie3011 on February 17, 2022, 10:39:25 PM
Quote from: 98fxstc on February 15, 2022, 12:16:16 PMI was happy with my M6 until the springs broke.
I went with Rbabos' mod.

What's this Mod you speak of? A search returned nothing. Thanks

Here is a link to a bit of discussion
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11996.0/all.html
Start at post #39
pic has been removed.

the spring that auto adjusts the wedge is removed
the wedge is drilled and tapped vertically
a slot (front to rear) is cut in the base of the wedge support
a bolt is inserted into the tapped hole in the wedge from the underside of the wedge support
adjustment is carried out by a forward to rear movement of the wedge under the chain
the bolt is nipped up tight in the required position

Deye76

Hayden's used to be very good. But like most greedy companies they fixed that. I put several hundred thousand miles on the older ones, bought a new one for my FXR last year, springs and the shoe broke in a couple thousand miles. Back to the OE.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

brent

did you see the bump stop evo ind sells that you add to you stock tensioner to keep it from getting tighter

Wookie3011

I did Brent and am curious. Pretty reasonable price also. I'm going to take the advice of running it for a month or so and see what I have. I have a DH Man-O-War crank so am hopeful that the .0005 runout will promote normal operation of the auto tensioner.

Wookie3011

Quote from: jmorton10 on February 18, 2022, 01:29:33 AMI can tell you from experience a few tensioners NOT to use.  I bent the hell out of two Baker units, had an M6 fall apart, & had problems with the HB hydraulic unit.  I forget which manual unit this is (might be the twin power) shown here with a 30t compensator eliminator/Bandit clutch & Trask basket as I have three of them that all look pretty much the same, but they have all held up well to some serious abuse lol.

~John 

That's one beautiful Primary setup! The Trask and sportsman sure look good together. I have to ask, what's on the 2 bolts mounting the adjuster? I went ahead and flipped the coin for evolution industries Bump stop. I'm going to run it and see what happens. The vtwin adjuster is the next step if the Bump Stop fails to work.

jmorton10

It's just a dab of sealer on the heads.

I had one come loose once even with loctite on the bolts so I got in the habit of doing that years ago.  I know it's totally unnecessary but it doesn't hurt anything so I just do it out of habit.

~John

60Gunner

I haven't had an issue running the stock tensioner with the 30 tooth compensator eliminator.