April 16, 2024, 12:31:29 AM

News:

Factory 107" vs factory 114"

Started by biggzed, February 23, 2022, 11:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggzed

February 23, 2022, 11:01:09 AM Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 02:47:47 PM by biggzed
Hey guys -

I am considering adding a Street Bob to the garage. Looking at used, not new. I notice the 2018 - 2020 bikes came factory with a 107". The 2021 has a 114".

How big a difference is there between the 107/114. I want this bike to be my rip around town/mountains/day rider. I still have my K1600 for the long hauls. Asked a different way, is it even worth considering a 107" now that they come standard with a 114"?

Also, I will likely add a CR480 cam and 2-1 pipe to anything I purchase. I see several dyno sheets in the Dyno section, but most are baggers. Is there a difference in throttle bodies from softail to bagger? Is it reasonable to expect similar results between the baggers and softail bikes? Not sure what other driveline differences may effect results.

Thanks,
Zach

Deye76

If 7 cu. in. didn't make a difference S&S wouldn't have produced a 117" and a 124". A 114" doesn't care if it's in a bagger or a softail, all things being equal they will spool the same on a dyno. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Don D

I would not hesitate one bit. It is a big bore away from 124", a weekend job.

Hossamania

Given the option, I'd go 114. The 107 does well with a cam and a tune. The 114 does better.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

NHBagger

If you can find a 107 bargain priced, you could bump it up and probably still not be at the price of a 114.

FXDBI

Quote from: NHBagger on February 24, 2022, 04:23:08 PMIf you can find a 107 bargain priced, you could bump it up and probably still not be at the price of a 114.

Factory 114 is a stroked 107 not a bigger bore. Go for the 114 more potential.   Bob

joes124

Quote from: FXDBI on February 24, 2022, 05:15:31 PM
Quote from: NHBagger on February 24, 2022, 04:23:08 PMIf you can find a 107 bargain priced, you could bump it up and probably still not be at the price of a 114.

Factory 114 is a stroked 107 not a bigger bore. Go for the 114 more potential.   Bob

Exactly!

mkriggen

I'm going to go against the grain here. If I was looking to make an around town hot rodded bobber, I would go for the shorter stroked engine and bump it up to 124". It will wind up faster off the lights and your rings will love the slower piston speeds.

sandrooney

Go for the 114. Install some V&H Eliminator 300's, a PowerVision and leave the rest alone. They are awesome just the way they are.
Patience is such a waste of time .

Hossamania

So there seems to be a consensus: do it this way.
No wait, do it that way.
I do like the idea of the shorter stroke hotrod motor. And I like the idea of a longer stroke hammer.
It is fun to beat the bigger motors with a smaller one that's set up properly. Until one of those just waxes you, then, I need more!

BigT

I doubt the small difference in stroke from a 107" @ 4.375 and a 114" with a 4.5" stroke would have much effect on longevity of the motor, piston speed or the ability to spool up faster other than quicker because of the increased motor size.

Ohio HD

Quote from: mkriggen on February 25, 2022, 01:12:43 AMI'm going to go against the grain here. If I was looking to make an around town hot rodded bobber, I would go for the shorter stroked engine and bump it up to 124". It will wind up faster off the lights and your rings will love the slower piston speeds.

:up:

There's benefit to increases piston top surface area and the shorter stroke.

Don D

Agree 100%  :up:

And a little more than a driveway swap is S&S 136 cubic inch. In a mild state of tune the result would exceed some very formidable twin cams. $3600 or thereabouts plus your choice of cam and other accessories.

biggzed

Great discussion guys. Thanks. I was being lazy and hadn't looked up the actual bore/stroke of each. My Dad has a 4.5" stroke twin cam. It had similar hp/tq to my 103" TC, but I felt like my 103" was much quicker (only proven a couple of times on some freeway on-ramps).

I like the idea of shorter stroke hot rod with option to go 124" easily/economically. It also looks like the CR480 would be a nice choice in 107" and 124" making it even more economical to upgrade to 124" after I get beat by a 114". LOL

Zach

lonewolf

114 responds to a cam much better than the 107.

boooby1744

Mod the 107 and lower gearing :chop:

BigT

March 03, 2022, 11:33:13 AM #16 Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:46:13 PM by BigT
I bought a 2017 107" Street Glide which is now 124" at a tad under 150hp. In stock form the  107" was a slug. Trying to pass a car seemed dangerously slow. As the saying goes there is no replacement for displacement. You can't go wrong with the larger 114" motor in my opinion. As far as the slightly shorter stroke spooling up faster that may be if the motor stays the same cubic inches. The 114" would spool right by the 107" in a race.

VernDiesel

March 06, 2022, 06:04:22 PM #17 Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:42:04 AM by VernDiesel
Biggzed,  Throttle body options are the same. Softails do use internal balancers baggers don't. This is not a bad thing for a drag racing motor. Softails also weigh 110 ish pounds less than baggers. However baggers use longer pipes which improve torque and dyno numbers. Small advantage softail.
Nice torque plated 4.310 bore 4.375 stroke is still undersquare. 128ci

Retired pro stock Harley race engine builder George Bryce thinks (for drag racing) highest average horsepower for the shift to recovery range is fastest. For making power and keeping it his top three concerns; 1. Ring seal 2. Valve size 3. Bore.
Valve size and bore especially bore to stroke to fill the cylinder for ability to make power and ring seal to keep it.  Shorter stroke at the same rpm is a lower piston speed also less piston side loading both equal better ring seal. Less piston speed and better ring seal allow for more rpm.

Working with a pump premium motor that you are looking for reasonable life out of. You could spin a 4.375 stroke to 7k. A 4.500 stroke you might stick to 6,500 rpms. From 7k to 5,500 back to 7k you should see a better average horsepower than 6,500 to 5,000 back to 6,500. Cubes buy torque not horsepower.

If you are going into the shortblock where you are going to balance the crank and use better rods this advantage becomes greater. Unless valvetrain or other limitations come into play. Also you can bore the case to fit bigger cylinders. With new better aftermarket jugs available you can safely go to a 4.500 bore. This would make an oversquare 139ci that could spin breath & live. Albeit short block work is expensive.

We're already seeing 170WHP from pump gas builds. I don't know what a built liquid cooled 6 cylinder OHC K1600 can do. Certainly it has more potential than a simple 2 cylinder air cooled push rod motor. But I know stock the K1600 isn't seeing anywhere near 170 HP at the wheel. All this just my opinion. There are other factors that come into play this is just at the core. Engine builders here with far more experience and understanding than me. Most just won't teach and share a lot on an open forum.

cheech

Quote from: VernDiesel on March 06, 2022, 06:04:22 PMSoftails do use internal balancers baggers don't.

Not true!
All M8's are internally counterbalanced.
Touring have 1, Softails have 2.

VernDiesel

If that was the biggest mistake I made it was a good day. But I will fix it.  :chop:
Ack I can't apparently the forum only allows edits for a short period of time.

sandrooney

Quote from: cheech on March 07, 2022, 06:54:03 AM
Quote from: VernDiesel on March 06, 2022, 06:04:22 PMSoftails do use internal balancers baggers don't.

Not true!
All M8's are internally counterbalanced.
Touring have 1, Softails have 2.

:up:

Tynker

Quote from: VernDiesel on March 06, 2022, 06:04:22 PMSoftails do use internal balancers baggers don't. T
Quote from: VernDiesel on March 06, 2022, 06:04:22 PMSoftails do use internal balancers baggers don't. T

Wrong. My 2017 107 Tri Glide balancer came loose and destroyed the motor. motor replaced under warranty.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Hossamania

Quote from: Tynker on March 14, 2022, 12:02:07 PM

Wrong. My 2017 107 Tri Glide balancer came loose and destroyed the motor. motor replaced under warranty.

As noted in response #18.

biggzed

Well I ended up deciding to sell my BMW K1600. It was a great bike, but after a lot of thought I admitted to myself frequent touring is not in the cards for me. Life happens when you have 2 teenage daughters. Getting out on multiple day rides several times a year just isn't reality anymore. I'm fine with it.

I got more than I paid for the BMW and immediately took that and bought a 2021 Street Bob with the 114". It's already got a Two Brothers 2-1, Saddlemen seat and a nice little fairing. I couldn't be happier to be an HD owner again.

Zach

sandrooney