News:

S&S 111” and cv40?

Started by choseneasy, March 02, 2022, 10:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choseneasy

Anybody ever tried this?
Thanks.

Scotty

Have not tried it and although it would run I think you would be leaving a lot on the table.
Better to run something more suitable for a decent motor like that.

jsachs1

I would buy a real Mikuni 45, or a S&S G. You will be leaving too much on the table, even with a bored out 40 CV. If you can find a super deal on a 44 CV, that may get you outta the woods.
John

harpwrench

I had a V111 and it came with a super E. I swapped it out for a super G modified by John Sachs. It made a big difference in power felt, and his mods made it super easy to tune in.

choseneasy

Thanks guys.
 A buddy is putting the 111" in his kids bike. He is not worried about performance right now and I think he prefers to leave it a little weak til he gets some miles on it.
  Any suggestions for jets? 1500 ft elevation mostly.

HogMike

Quote from: choseneasy on March 02, 2022, 02:42:44 PMThanks guys.
 A buddy is putting the 111" in his kids bike. He is not worried about performance right now and I think he prefers to leave it a little weak til he gets some miles on it.
  Any suggestions for jets? 1500 ft elevation mostly.

Get the "G" and be done.  I have that on my 113 and if he's worried about manners the G is very smooth running and will do low speed/rpm's with no surprises.
JMHO, of course and personal experience on my bike.
That way you'll never have to buy another carb.

Same could be true with a mik 45 or similar. Just that I never tried it on my 113.
My twin cam 95" has a mik42 and also runs pretty sweet and the 45 may work .

:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

kd

Four responses to your question all basically saying the same thing or agreeing with each other plus qualifying their answers.  You (or your buddy) want to go the original way.  Did you really want an answer to your question or just someone to agree with you?   BTW, "performance" is not just a go fast power. Starting, idle, coming off idle, parking lots, city traffic, passing safely and elevation changes fall into the performance category.  :wink:
KD

JW113

CV40 is good for perhaps 90HP. Yes it will work on the 111 but limit it in top end HP. Jets, I'd start with a 48 pilot and 185 main, then take it to a dyno shop and get it jetted properly. OR, get an AFR gauge and dial it in yourself...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

choseneasy

Thanks JW - got a baseline for jets now.

turboprop

Quote from: choseneasy on March 02, 2022, 10:48:37 AMAnybody ever tried this?
Thanks.

The real question is why would anyone consider doing this. Had a local guy do do this. EVERYONE advised him not to. Stupid. Had to prove everyone wrong.You know, with his extensive experience (2 years) of owning a Harley. In the end he bought a Mik45 and an AFR gauge.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

March 02, 2022, 07:42:29 PM #10 Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 07:48:39 PM by kd
Quote from: choseneasy on March 02, 2022, 06:41:49 PM
Quote from: kd on March 02, 2022, 04:11:29 PMFour responses to your question all basically saying the same thing or agreeing with each other plus qualifying their answers.  You (or your buddy) want to go the original way.  Did you really want an answer to your question or just someone to agree with you?  BTW,
Quote from: kd on March 02, 2022, 04:11:29 PMFour responses to your question all basically saying the same thing or agreeing with each other plus qualifying their answers.  You (or your buddy) want to go the original way.  Did you really want an answer to your question or just someone to agree with you?  BTW, "performance" is not just a go fast power. Starting, idle, coming off idle, parking lots, city traffic, passing safely and elevation changes fall into the performance category.  :wink:
"performance" is not just a go fast power. Starting, idle, coming off idle, parking lots, city traffic, passing safely and elevation changes fall into the performance category.  :wink:

???

When I read it now it doesn't come across like I meant it to sound.  I should have reread it first. 

The folks that responded are knowledgeable and experienced.  They were offering opinions on options that were better in many ways than what you were considering doing.  There was no information on what model size bike or intended use. You didn't ask for jet suggestions until the 4th post.  It appeared you were hoping to use a carb other posters (or all including JW later) felt was inferior or a poor match to the engine compared to what is available.  Your subsequent post before JW responded suggested the owner wanted it to be a bit of a slug until later.  Possibly it would have been better in the opening post.  The CV40 would be at it's limit or even a bit under powered. The folks giving opinions were saying to you there are better options so why spend twice?  You did indicate it was just for now.  I was pointing out that your friend's (and your) idea of performance is not just hot rod power but much more than that. 

JW has given you a place to start and some tuning suggestions.  He has made you aware of the restrictions he also feels you are placing on a great engine.  Go for it.  Maybe your friend or his son will be satisfied after doing the work and have a good experience.  Sorry if I wasn't clear enough for you. It wasn't intentional.
KD

Hossamania

March 03, 2022, 04:35:08 AM #11 Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 08:06:23 AM by Hossamania
Sure it will work, but what is the end goal? In a perfect world, what would the owner ultimately like to have with this not inexpensive motor swap?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

"He is not worried about performance right now and I think he prefers to leave it a little weak"

Then buy a used 80", plenty on the market for sale.  I wouldn't risk running a 111" lean and damaging it.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hossamania

Quote from: Deye76 on March 03, 2022, 06:25:46 AM"He is not worried about performance right now and I think he prefers to leave it a little weak"

Then buy a used 80", plenty on the market for sale.  I wouldn't risk running a 111" lean and damaging it.

That part about leaving it "a little weak" is just confusing to me.
How is it being broken in, tuned, monitored for afr?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

choseneasy

Being weak is me telling him it is gonna be starving for air and thus power.
  I've never done it, wasn't suggesting it  was a good idea and wouldn't do it myself.
 I will take all suggestions to him and let him decide.

speedzter

Depends how the guy rides.
He might not rev it past 4k.
If he wants to give it a hand full, a Mik 45 is a no brainer.

JW113

It sounds like they just want to run the carb they have while putting some break in miles on it. I can only speak for myself, but I tend not put the spurs to a new engine for at least 500 miles. I have no doubt a CV40 is up to that task without causing any lean issues, i.e. low throttle and low RPM. But, after that, agree completely, that's way too small of a carb for that many cubic inches. McKuni is nice, I prefer the CV51 but I think those are pretty hard to come by these days.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber