April 18, 2024, 11:22:54 PM

News:

electronic ignition

Started by capn, March 02, 2022, 05:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capn

Wondering if all aftermarket electronic ignitions require the same voltage or amps during start cranking to fire.Seems that the one on my shovel fires easier vs the different brand on my evo.

JW113

Don't know. However, I'd look at the batteries instead of worrying about the IE. ALL batteries drop voltage when cranking the starter. How much depends on the type of stater, but more so on the condition of the battery, and the ambient temperature. The old the battery, or the colder the temperature, the more the voltage drops. Throw a volt meter on both, and see how far the voltage drops?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Quote from: capn on March 02, 2022, 05:41:46 PMWondering if all aftermarket electronic ignitions require the same voltage or amps during start cranking to fire.Seems that the one on my shovel fires easier vs the different brand on my evo.

Do tell, what is this electronic marvel you have on your shovel.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

capn

Compufire on the shovel,Ultima on the evo.

superglide

Also make sure the Earth cables are solid.  You could use a meter to measure the voltage drop at the Compufire when cranking over.  If the voltage drops too low (lord knows what this level is though) then it will impact both the Compufire AND the Coils resulting in poor performance.  If the Shovel is a kicker then make sure the unit is setup for a kicker.

Hossamania

I assume you are running a CV carb on the Evo, if so, make sure your enrichener is working properly, and don't twist the throttle while starting. If cold, I like to give it a 1/8 to 1/4 twist just to prime the carb so to speak, then release and engage the starter.
As mentioned, make sure your battery is full charge, good condition, good cables.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

capn

Just replacing fork seals and brake pads on the evo bagger.Also broke down and bought a 500 cca battery.I did start it before I took the forks apart.It has a 120 motor with S&S G.

Hossamania

What is the difference in starting? What are the specs on the Shovel? The Evo ignition should turn over a couple times before the ignition fires.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

capn

I think that the compression releases close too quick on the evo.If it doesnt fire right away I stop and open the releases and try again.Only when its cold.Warm it cranks way easier naturally.