April 19, 2024, 08:46:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

evo stater problem

Started by vern, March 06, 2022, 10:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

I have a custom Harley with a 31552-89 starter, which is not starting my bike. You might say why dont you get the upgrade starter? well I have one but it doesnt fit. the power connection touches my oil tank, and the starter motor is bigger than the old one it wont fit! So what to do! Its a Denso starter and I would like to have it rebuilt so I can use it. any sugestions ?

Hossamania

What are the specs on the motor? Which ignition are you using? What are the symptoms of it not starting? Has this been going on since day one? Are you using compression releases?
The starter can be rebuilt.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

vern

this bike is a 80 inch shovel with a 5 spd. stock evo ignition, stock cam, stock carb, with factory jets. Last year I put 2500 miles on , ran so nice, started on the first try every time. But, I built this bike fron scratch every nut and bolt. So i plugged in the battery tender last fall and waited for this spring. It seems that the check valve or ball leaked into the engine and caused hard cranking so I thought ( looking back I was thinking to much ) so I pulled the starter thinking it was the solinoid contacts and replaced them. re installed the starter and now its just spinning the drive. (I should have just charged the battery properly.) so what to do!!!! I bought a other starter a newer one and it wont fit into the same space the friggen starter has a bigger motor and the elec conections are different. MY starter is a 1998 OEM 31552-89 the one I bought is a 31552-89A or B . I think Ill get a solinoid Button and try that on my old starter.

fbn ent

There should be a shop there that can check your starter out for you. Shouldn't cost much and they can probably repair anything that is wrong. Check with NAPA, they may know...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Dan89flstc

Quote from: vern on March 08, 2022, 04:05:28 PMre installed the starter and now its just spinning the drive. 

You don`t need a new starter, just replace the starter clutch.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

fbn ent

Quote from: Dan89flstc on March 09, 2022, 05:06:36 AM
Quote from: vern on March 08, 2022, 04:05:28 PMre installed the starter and now its just spinning the drive. 

You don`t need a new starter, just replace the starter clutch.

Missed that.  :agree:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

vern

yt old starter did the grunt for a while, but now it just spinns, I took my rear wheel of and the newer starter did fit but it also just spun without engaging the motor .I cant believe both starters are doing the same thing. AM going to have to spend some money to fix it or have I missed some thing like a corroded starter cable?

Hossamania

Did you replace the starter clutch?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

vern

A big thanks to you guys for your thoughtful advice. THE problem is that Im a back yard guy, mechanical but not trained or qualified. I can figure things out , usualy by repeated error. so as I was taking the starter apart to see what the problem was out fell a small round bearing and it hid among my stuff, I did this on 2 good starters that I had,, so they would not engage just spin like a broken clutch drive. So there i was with the third starter in my lap, which I promptly took apart , only on this one I saw the ball bearing fall out .The light went on , I put a solinoid contact kits into the newest starter I had and it works the way it should. My bike is a shovel 5 spd with newer starter and clutch . The bigest problem that I had to over come was my use of a D S solid jack shaft, but that has worked out as well Enjoy your ride!