April 19, 2024, 01:38:40 PM

News:

Starter clicks no start!

Started by chas, March 07, 2022, 08:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi All- When I hit the start button, I get a fast clicking noise and all the lights flicker with the clicking! Battery is new and fully charged, the jack shaft with come out and engage the teeth on clutch pack but starter( new) will not spin! I have sanded the ground contacts, replaced the positive and negative cables, replaced the starter relay and I still get the clicking.
What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance - Chas

kd

Year and model info?  Did the problem begin before or after the starter or battery change?
KD

Coff 06

Possibly a bad new battery ?   :nix:         Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Armin

The clicking starter noise is usually caused by a weak battery. Even a new battery can be a weak one after it was kept one the store shelf for too long. Give the the battery a full charge cycle of ten hours and try again.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Hossamania

Quote from: Coff 06 on March 07, 2022, 08:42:55 AMPossibly a bad new battery ?  :nix:        Coff 06

My thoughts too.
Try jumping it with a known good battery (your car battery will work, do not start the car), or even a jump pack.
And Armin's response.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Answering kd's questions will also help.

chas

fbn ent

March 07, 2022, 09:51:54 AM #7 Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:31:21 PM by fbn ent
Jump power to the green wire on the starter. IN NEUTRAL! If it cranks fine the problem is upstream is upstream..... If it clicks it is more than likely battery or cable/ground related.

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

chas

Battery is fully charged, reads 12.9 volts. I jumped the green starter wire to the positive terminal and i get the same clicking going on!

Hossamania

Jump it with another battery.
Also, measure voltage across the battery terminals while trying to start. (But not while trying to jump start it)

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

Quote from: chas on March 07, 2022, 09:49:53 AMThe bike is 03 ultra

Quote from: kd on March 07, 2022, 08:18:37 AMYear and model info?  Did the problem begin before or after the starter or battery change?

Got any answer to these also?
  Check up under the rear of the fuel tank for a ground lug attached to the frame backbone and make sure it is clean and tight.  They are notorious for causing problems that mimic a low or dead battery..
KD

JW113

Volts has nothing to do with the battery's ability to provide current (amps). If the battery has gone resistive, yes it will measure fine with a voltmeter under no load. As Hoss said, measure it while the starter button is being pressed.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

chas

Wouldn't it make sense that it could be a ground issue with the lights blinking with the clicking? The dashlights headlight,and back running light all blink

Coyote

It could be either battery cable. Easy enough to check and that's the most likely cause given he has a new battery.

fleetmechanic

We've encountered a loose flange nut on the ground post in front of the battery several times.  Put a 10mm wrench on it and check.

kd

Quote from: fleetmechanic on March 07, 2022, 12:22:55 PMWe've encountered a loose flange nut on the ground post in front of the battery several times.  Put a 10mm wrench on it and check.

Offered it up in post 11 but no response. A better description is follow the heavy wire paired at the negative battery cable to where it is grounded.  If it's loose or corroded it may be your problem.

It still might help to know when this problem started as asked in post 11.  Otherwise we're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.
KD

cheech

Quote from: Coyote on March 07, 2022, 11:44:22 AMIt could be either battery cable. Easy enough to check and that's the most likely cause given he has a new battery.
He claimed new cables also.

cheech

March 08, 2022, 08:32:26 AM #18 Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 11:46:36 AM by Coyote
Hands down one of the best instructions for a voltage drop test. And way easier than typing it all out.
Notice (#8) the test for the ground side also.

Hossamania

Looking forward to more info and feedback from chas.

FSG

Quote from: cheech on March 08, 2022, 08:32:26 AMAnd way easier than typing it all out.

good use of imgur  :up:    :SM:

jmorton10

Quote from: FSG on March 08, 2022, 01:45:01 PM
Quote from: cheech on March 08, 2022, 08:32:26 AMAnd way easier than typing it all out.

good use of imgur  :up:    :SM:

imgur is handy as he!!  I use it and recommend it all the time.

~John   
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

chas

Heres an update on what I have done since the other day, and trying out a couple things you guys have mentioned. I jumped the bike from another battery that was freshly charged and got the same no starter turning just the jack shafting out to engage the clutch teeth. Still doing the clicking and lights blinking in time with the clicking. I took off the ground to the top of the rear jug and sanded it really good pushed the starter and saw thing! clicking and lights blinking. Tomorrow I will remove the starter and do some test on it. Thanks Cheech for the diagrams of electrical system diagnostics, I will try and make some sense out of it! Starter is brand new but it could be a pos!

apes

Quote from: Hossamania on March 07, 2022, 09:58:36 AMJump it with another battery.
Also, measure voltage across the battery terminals while trying to start. (But not while trying to jump start it)

I am having s similar issue, 12.97 meter reading when fully charged but when the start button is depressed it drops to 6.XX and clicks.....the battery was new last year...so with the drop to 6.XX it means that battery is bad?

JW113

That would be my vote.

I have been using one of those "Pulse" battery chargers for years, and for what ever reason, they seem to make the batteries last longer.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

Yup, that's why they are called maintainers.  I was getting a couple of years to a battery due to periodic hard charging cycles over the winter.  I was too lazy to turn off the security.  :embarrassed:  Now I am at 4 years on 3 of them (1 is an AG lithium) using maintainers.  Well worth the spend in my books..
KD

Coyote

Quote from: apes on March 13, 2022, 02:05:26 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 07, 2022, 09:58:36 AMJump it with another battery.

I am having s similar issue, 12.97 meter reading when fully charged but when the start button is depressed it drops to 6.XX and clicks.....the battery was new last year...so with the drop to 6.XX it means that battery is bad?

If you are putting each meter probe on the battery terminal itself (not the cable connector) then yes, dropping that much is a bad battery.

Hossamania

Yes, I would try a different known good battery.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on March 13, 2022, 05:51:49 PMYes, I would try a different known good battery.

Chas said in post 22 that he jumped it with a freshly charged battery.  No indication if it was checked.  Just freshly charged.  :scratch:  Still no response on when the problem started so we're still just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Did the problem begin before or after the starter or battery change?
KD

Dan89flstc

Charge the battery and have it load tested.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Coff 06

Quote from: kd on March 13, 2022, 07:50:00 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 13, 2022, 05:51:49 PMYes, I would try a different known good battery.

Chas said in post 22 that he jumped it with a freshly charged battery.  No indication if it was checked.  Just freshly charged.  :scratch:  Still no response on when the problem started so we're still just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Did the problem begin before or after the starter or battery change?

And if it's a bad connection all the batteries in the world won't start it.     :dgust:        Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

chas

I did test the battery, when its just sitting connected in the bike it reads 12.6, but when I push starter and clicking starts it reads 6.6! So sounds like a bad battery?

rigidthumper

Sounds like a shorted cell. Most battery places can load test to ensure.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

Quote from: chas on April 30, 2022, 06:50:14 AMI did test the battery, when its just sitting connected in the bike it reads 12.6, but when I push starter and clicking starts it reads 6.6! So sounds like a bad battery?

Make sure your meter probes are on the battery terminal itself, not the cable terminals when doing your test.

Hossamania

The battery would certainly be suspect.

fleetmechanic

Have you tried removing this battery entirely from the circuit and only connecting to a different one?  If this one is toast for some reason it might be acting like a resistor.