March 29, 2024, 07:55:02 AM

News:

Starter clicks no start!

Started by chas, March 07, 2022, 08:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

Yup, that's why they are called maintainers.  I was getting a couple of years to a battery due to periodic hard charging cycles over the winter.  I was too lazy to turn off the security.  :embarrassed:  Now I am at 4 years on 3 of them (1 is an AG lithium) using maintainers.  Well worth the spend in my books..
KD

Coyote

Quote from: apes on March 13, 2022, 02:05:26 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 07, 2022, 09:58:36 AMJump it with another battery.
Also, measure voltage across the battery terminals while trying to start. (But not while trying to jump start it)

I am having s similar issue, 12.97 meter reading when fully charged but when the start button is depressed it drops to 6.XX and clicks.....the battery was new last year...so with the drop to 6.XX it means that battery is bad?

If you are putting each meter probe on the battery terminal itself (not the cable connector) then yes, dropping that much is a bad battery.

Hossamania

Yes, I would try a different known good battery.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Quote from: Hossamania on March 13, 2022, 05:51:49 PMYes, I would try a different known good battery.

Chas said in post 22 that he jumped it with a freshly charged battery.  No indication if it was checked.  Just freshly charged.  :scratch:  Still no response on when the problem started so we're still just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Did the problem begin before or after the starter or battery change?
KD

Dan89flstc

Charge the battery and have it load tested.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Coff 06

Quote from: kd on March 13, 2022, 07:50:00 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on March 13, 2022, 05:51:49 PMYes, I would try a different known good battery.

Chas said in post 22 that he jumped it with a freshly charged battery.  No indication if it was checked.  Just freshly charged.  :scratch:  Still no response on when the problem started so we're still just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Did the problem begin before or after the starter or battery change?

And if it's a bad connection all the batteries in the world won't start it.     :dgust:        Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

chas

I did test the battery, when its just sitting connected in the bike it reads 12.6, but when I push starter and clicking starts it reads 6.6! So sounds like a bad battery?

rigidthumper

Sounds like a shorted cell. Most battery places can load test to ensure.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Coyote

Quote from: chas on April 30, 2022, 06:50:14 AMI did test the battery, when its just sitting connected in the bike it reads 12.6, but when I push starter and clicking starts it reads 6.6! So sounds like a bad battery?

Make sure your meter probes are on the battery terminal itself, not the cable terminals when doing your test.

Hossamania

The battery would certainly be suspect.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fleetmechanic

Have you tried removing this battery entirely from the circuit and only connecting to a different one?  If this one is toast for some reason it might be acting like a resistor.