March 29, 2024, 01:20:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Torque cones

Started by Toomuchstuff, March 07, 2022, 01:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toomuchstuff

So I started taking apart my Craigslist find 1999 sportster sport and came across something I haven't seen before. 
When removing the exhaust,  a small cylinder fell out of each exhaust port.  The cylinders sat between the exhaust gasket and the pipe and sat into the pipe reducing the diameter of the pipe.  Some googling told me they are called torque cones. 
The bike appears to be pretty well set up and mostly stock except for screamin eagle mufflers and a mikuni carb.  I haven't run the bike and it hasn't been started since 2005. 

What are people's thoughts on the torque cones?
I am not sure if I should reinstall or just leave them out. 

Thanks

kd

Do a search in the search engine here.  There's lots to read.  A recent thread covered it fairly well too.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,117115.0.html
KD

72fl

Try  finding a 2 into 1 exhaust for that Monster OH BOYYYYY what torquey fun you are going to have with this Sportster Sport, do yourself a Favor while you have it down do the Plugs now, not the easiest to get access to.

Toomuchstuff

March 08, 2022, 05:14:21 AM #3 Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:39:36 AM by Toomuchstuff
Quote from: 72fl on March 08, 2022, 03:10:34 AMTry  finding a 2 into 1 exhaust for that Monster OH BOYYYYY what torquey fun you are going to have with this Sportster Sport, do yourself a Favor while you have it down do the Plugs now, not the easiest to get access to.

Thanks.  I found a 2 I to 1 pipe from an 883R.  I just need to get a better silencer for it. Not so easy to find one that fits.   The 2 into 1 had the stock muffler on it now.
 I would like a supertrapp but funds are low. 

This is my second sportster sport.  Currently I own this 1999 and a 1998.   I really like these bikes. 

chopper

Pretty easy to just knock out the "soft plug" in the factory pipe.  I've done a couple of them.  Don't know if it helps performance, but sure gives a nice sound.  Not too loud at all.   Just healthy.
I'd love to find another R for myself.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

72fl

I know where there is one that got dropped she went to put kickstand down and it was gone she lost her balance and dropped it somehow, but I been trying to get it for 4 years and still no luck, I WANT IT :sheep: