Removing front crank sprocket for Cycle Rama ramp

Started by klammer76, March 10, 2022, 09:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Going to be removing the front comp sprocket on my 2021 RGS to install a Cycle Rama ramp. Service manual says if just removing the front sprocket, clutch does not have to be removed just the auto tensioner. Anyone confirm that is true?

I have seen that done once on a friends Twin Cam but I wasn't impressed with how much side pressure the shop used on the primary chain to pull the sprocket. Maybe M8's are different. I have always pulled comp and clutch as a unit on my other bikes so not a big deal here but hey, less work if this is the case.

Thaks

hrdtail78

I always remove both.  For me.  It really isn't that much more work or time to do. 
Semper Fi

OldMike

Quote from: klammer76 on March 10, 2022, 09:24:39 AMGoing to be removing the front comp sprocket on my 2021 RGS to install a Cycle Rama ramp. Service manual says if just removing the front sprocket, clutch does not have to be removed just the auto tensioner. Anyone confirm that is true?

I have seen that done once on a friends Twin Cam but I wasn't impressed with how much side pressure the shop used on the primary chain to pull the sprocket. Maybe M8's are different. I have always pulled comp and clutch as a unit on my other bikes so not a big deal here but hey, less work if this is the case.

Thaks
The manual is correct.

klammer76

Quote from: OldMike on March 10, 2022, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: klammer76 on March 10, 2022, 09:24:39 AMGoing to be removing the front comp sprocket on my 2021 RGS to install a Cycle Rama ramp. Service manual says if just removing the front sprocket, clutch does not have to be removed just the auto tensioner. Anyone confirm that is true?

Thaks
The manual is correct.
Thanks Mike

mkriggen

I did this exact install, you do not need to remove the clutch.

les

Quote from: mkriggen on March 11, 2022, 04:50:48 AMI did this exact install, you do not need to remove the clutch.

Did you need to apply side pressure on the primary chain?

OldMike

Admiral Akbar

One thing to note is that a M8 softail had a greater distance between the comp and the clutch..

FranBunnyFFXII

Thaks

Yes this is true, I replaced my Fat Boy's compensator ramp with the CycleRama one back in January. I did not have to touch the clutch assembly at all. Once you remove that chain tensioner, you can easily remove the sprocket.
2018 Fat Boy 114 "Rayearth" Resurgence Limited Paint, 20/150. Stage 2 SE-447

les

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 16, 2022, 08:28:33 PMOne thing to note is that a M8 softail had a greater distance between the comp and the clutch..

So, does this mean you don't have to put side pressure on the Softails but you need to put side pressure on the Touring  models?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: les on March 18, 2022, 09:01:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 16, 2022, 08:28:33 PMOne thing to note is that a M8 softail had a greater distance between the comp and the clutch..

So, does this mean you don't have to put side pressure on the Softails but you need to put side pressure on the Touring  models?

I would guess if you pulled it off the way the sprocket ended up in the pic then yes..

FSG

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 21, 2022, 04:37:56 PM
Quote from: les on March 18, 2022, 09:01:59 AM

I would guess if you pulled it off the way the sprocket ended up in the pic then yes..

and that's how I get them off the TC's as the softails have had a greater distance between the comp and the clutch

les

I just did it on my 2020 Electra Glide.  Thanks for the education.

319fatboy

You did it on your bagger without removing the clutch?

klammer76

I installed the Cycle Rama ramp last weekend on my 2021 RGS. As said here, no need to remove the clutch. Job went smooth as could be.

Thanks for the info.

les

Quote from: 319fatboy on March 22, 2022, 09:26:16 AMYou did it on your bagger without removing the clutch?

Yes. I never tried to do that on my M8 since I always had to do it on my twin cams.  In the process of swapping my 131" back in the frame, I decided to give it a try because of this thread, and it worked.  That's great news for comp replacements on my bike.