March 29, 2024, 03:37:53 AM

News:

Wrong Brake Fluid

Started by Ironpig9, March 14, 2022, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Quote from: hogpipes1 on May 07, 2022, 05:23:10 AMWhat yr did HD start using  Dot 5.1?   My bike is a 2000 Using silicone dot5 .LIke I said it's been yrs sense I grab that can of syn.Just could not get the brain to get off the syn oil,syn this and that. Ha should of had tits on my mind,then I could of had a silicone thought. In any event it swelled the O rings and rubber cup . And I am sure it was not 5.1 syn. That would of snapped me back into reality.knowing only to use  sil-5 .Just was not my day to get a can of fluid.

You guys need to stop using the term "synthetic" and start using the terms "silicone based" or "glycol based". Just don't mix the two.

tdrglide

Went out to auto parts store yesterday to pick up some dot 5. First two stores don't have any. Only 3 and 4. Go then to third store. Walk in the door "can I help you", "I need dot 5 brake fluid". He walks me over to the brake fluids. Side by side they have dot 5 and 5.1. Hands me one of each. Young guy, probably new on the job. I tried to explain to him the difference. And told him don't ever mix them. You'll ruin someone's day. Not 100% sure he got it

Hossamania

Can you post a picture of the synthetic dot5 container?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Coyote

Quote from: Hossamania on May 07, 2022, 04:49:06 PMCan you post a picture of the synthetic dot5 container?

All dot5 is synthetic.   :doh:

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on May 07, 2022, 04:55:23 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on May 07, 2022, 04:49:06 PMCan you post a picture of the synthetic dot5 container?

All dot5 is synthetic.   :doh:

So it is silicone based and synthetic? Ok then. I'm easily confused
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Coyote

All brake fluid is synthetic.  Although the industry generally only refers to silicone fluids as so. The term is misused.

Ironpig9

:hug: Thanks all. Problem fixed and brakes are firm and steady.
"The road goes on forever...."

CndUltra88

Quote from: Ironpig9 on May 27, 2022, 05:59:15 PM:hug: Thanks all. Problem fixed and brakes are firm and steady.

Good to hear...
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

snakeoil

I realize that the OP solved his problem. But thought I'd share what I've learned from a brake expert.

Yes, alcohol will cut DOT 3 and 4 fluids which are glycol based. But it is not recommended that you use anything other than the fluid specified for the system in the system or to clean its components. Before I knew this, I cleaned a DOT 4 system on a Harley because the moron that owned the bike before me used motor oil in the brakes. So, I was forced to degrease the entire system first using a solvent, then flush after with alcohol and finally install the correct fluid. But in my case, all new seals were installed AFTER the cleaning process.

My personal opinion is that calling it DOT 5.1 instead of DOT 6 was a mistake. I would guess that every kid that grew up with computers will think that DOT 5.1 is simply an improvement to DOT 5. Somebody should get a arse-kicking for that decision. It was probably the DOT. Another example of your tax dollars at rest.

My personal experience with using DOT 5 in systems designed for DOT 3 or 4 has been that if you properly flush the system out, the 5 will work in the system designed for 3 or 4. I never ran into problems with swelled or deteriorated seals. This is based upon experience with older Corvettes. It was common practice to upgrade to DOT 5 due to the belief at the time that this would prevent caliper corrosion. But as I'm sure we all now know, moisture gets into both systems. With glycol based, it gets absorbed into the fluid. With silicone based it collects in places like the calipers.

If you search on the web for info on what happens when you mix silcone and glycol fluids, you get terms like "risk of total brake failure". I wonder how accurate that statement is. Probably written by lawyers and not engineers. But, when you think about the importance of reliable brakes, If I'd put 5.1 in a 5 system, I'd be tearing apart calipers and MCs and flushing lines as we speak. No regrets.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: snakeoil on June 01, 2022, 03:30:28 PMIf you search on the web for info on what happens when you mix silcone and glycol fluids, you get terms like "risk of total brake failure". I wonder how accurate that statement is. Probably written by lawyers and not engineers. 

If you mix DOT 4 and DOT 5, you will have a gummed up mess, and I guarantee the pistons in the calipers will get stuck (don`t ask...).

But if you think it is Lawyer BS, go ahead and mix them up and let us know what the results are. 

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic