March 28, 2024, 10:24:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil in front pipe

Started by No Problem, March 18, 2022, 03:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Problem

March 18, 2022, 03:06:03 PM Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 03:25:55 PM by kd
97 elec glide 1340 65,000  rode all day stopped on way home oil in front pipe running good no smoke

capn

I got the same bike had same problem.Was the fork seals.Replaced seals all good.

FSG

oil IN or ON the front pipe as it's kinda hard to see IN the pipe.

No Problem

its coming out of the end
of exhaust

Hossamania

Might be time for a compression test. Pull the plugs and take a look at them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Hoss was typing when I was but here goes anyway. 

This is one of those perfect times to do a compression and a leak down test.  Check the plugs for oil deposits etc.  If you have access to an endoscope have a look into the cylinders for deposits and scoring. Get a good knowledge of those things before you get itchy and start to take it apart. If those tests are OK and because it doesn't appear to be smoking or using oil then you may just be looking at an exhaust valve seal.  That can be done reasonably in a few hours without removing the head with a Nub Tool from Goodson.  If it's a loose valve guide, that'll be visible by pulling the exhaust header is off.  First things first though. Do the tests and let us know how they turn out.  Otherwise you can expect a ton of shots in the dark which will only help confuse the diagnosis of your specific problem.
KD

No Problem

thankyou i will check soon

capn

My bad .Thaugt I read oil on pipe.

No Problem

up date 1st cylinder 120psi oil on plug  2nd cylinder 90 psi no oil

kd

March 20, 2022, 10:18:01 AM #9 Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 11:15:36 AM by kd
Quote from: No Problem on March 20, 2022, 09:02:19 AMup date 1st cylinder 120psi oil on plug  2nd cylinder 90 psi no oil

A couple of things may be going on here.  We don't know how acurate your compression guage is but we can at least compare the numbers for balance.

The uneven compression is excessive and may be as a result of at least 2 things.  If you checked the rear cylinder last your battery may have been getting low and resulted in the lower compression reading.  Jumping the battery with a car battery of a good state of charge will reduce the difference usually. The front cylinder is wet as indicated by the plug. (There is still no known reason but that's OK right now) A wet cylinder will typically have higher compression because of ring seal being better with the oil on the rings.

Retry the test with the same number of engine rotations on each cylinder using a jumper battery with the bike battery fully charged too.  6 to 10 bumps each should do it.  The throttle must be held wide open (screwdriver?) as you are cranking.  Record those new numbers.  Next add a squirt of oil to the first cylinder and repeat.  Do the same to the second cylinder after you complete the first.  This is a wet test to confirm ring seal condition.  Any large increase in compression to the expected standard will indicate a ring condition. (worn, broken, or badly scored cylinder)   No large  increase in the front cylinder will indicate the low compression is likely from a damaged valve seat.  No change in the front cylinder compression may also indicate the oil is from valve guide or seal.
KD

No Problem

i try again tomorrow thanki u

kd

KD

No Problem

up date valve seal am bad air shock had it apart new jugs seals pistons running good  breaking it in