May 03, 2024, 01:29:17 PM

News:

best plugs for thundermax

Started by itsafatboy, March 17, 2022, 04:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

Wondering what are the best plugs for tmax or does it make any diff. i was going to go back to the copper plugs like stock was using the iridium ,  but have heard the copper have the best spark am i way wrong ,  116" 11.1 comp softail

Appowner

I don't see where the ECU cares which plug is used as long as it fits OEM specs.  All I see the ECU doing is telling the coil when to fire the plugs.

Tynker

Earl "Tynker" Riviere

SP33DY

I attended a 3 day ThunderMax training session and they showed us that a certain condition in a trouble report was traceable to iridium spark plugs. That was about 7 years ago, and my memory won't let me be more specific. Their saying was "Iridium? Get rid of 'em!"

Appowner

That could very well be but is the issue some kind of conflict between the T-Max and the plug or simply that the iridium is not as good as some thought?

Would the same issue have been present had the bike had the OEM ECU?

bobrk1

What  does  thundermax  recommend ? I  had my  bike  dyno  tuned  and  he  said  I could  only  run hd  factory  plug  not  even  the  screaming  eagle  one  otherwise  would  trip  anti knock , bike  been  running  great last  70k.

Coyote

I didn't think TMax had knock detection.

smoserx1

QuoteThat could very well be but is the issue some kind of conflict between the T-Max and the plug or simply that the iridium is not as good as some thought?

I had always thought the H-D only plug requirement applied to just Delphi EFI Bikes with ion sensing knock detection (because of the feedback).  I have a carbureted bike and just changed out a set of iridium plugs with nearly 50000 miles.  They are very good indeed.

bump

I have been using Champion plugs in my twin cam for years, no problems. It came with stock harley plugs but it went back to dealer 2 times in 2 months, they changed plug wires and coil. Got check engine light about 5 miles from dealer. Stopped on way home and got champions, light went away and haven't had that since.

jmorton10

I have a t-max on my 124" RK.  It runs fine with whatever plugs I put in it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

tdrglide

I have been using champion RA8HC for years on my TC's. Both Delphi and Tmax. Never any spark plug issues
However I just went down to local napa to get some and was told they had to order them :scratch:  so I went the autozone and was told by them "no longer available" :scratch:  so over to O'Reilly and they have them on the shelf  :baby:

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Never trust the gurus at the parts store. Champion isn't discontinuing the RA8HC.

RA8HC Champion