April 18, 2024, 06:42:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Opinions

Started by Bruce00, March 24, 2022, 09:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce00

131 front cylinder with 10K miles
Motor ran with no abnormal noise, found metal in oil at the 10K change

You cannot see attachments on this board.
You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

Who assembled the top end? Could these have been there from the start? Almost seems that a spinning hone could have made the gouges.

Bruce00

Dealer installed 131 kit at 1300 miles
At 3500 miles, couldn't put up with heat and did a Trask air/Bassani 2>1/Power Vision
Bye Bye warranty.......LOL

kd

Do you have pics of the piston and rings?  Did you do ma compression check and leak down test before disassembly? How was the other cylinder?  Any oil consumption or exhaust contaminating noted?
KD

Bruce00

Quote from: kd on March 24, 2022, 10:21:27 AMDo you have pics of the piston and rings?  Did you do ma compression check and leak down test before disassembly? How was the other cylinder?  Any oil consumption or exhaust contaminating noted?

I have them out in the truck, but nothing stands out. No broken rings, or piston deformation
Bike didn't smoke or use oil between changes. Rear cylinder showed heat witness marks but nothing stood out
Bike was in another state getting cam and a dyno tune, tech pulled the cam plate out and saw the oil pump chewed up. Pulled the crank sensor and metalic oil came out. There was no reason to check compression at that point. I might add that a couple weeks prior, the bike pulled 132/137 on a dyno.
It almost looks like the liner was moving with the piston for a sec, then caught and the top ring dug in?????
IDK......all I know for sure is the bike was flagged for the PowerVision and Iam eating the costs

SP33DY

I bored and honed a pair of 114 cylinders to 4.180" and saw the same thing in one of the cylinders. It didn't show up until Iwas almost done honing it. I attributed it to a casting void in the liner.

carpenterjoe

I think Dave, up at JDs. Has seen that a few times.

Don D

So this is a MOCO steel lined cylinder?

ziggy24

Is that the bottom of the cylinder? Piston rocking maybe? Do the marks line up with the ring orientation on the piston?

Admiral Akbar

The gouges appear to be below the ring travel.  I'd say the boring bar picked up something hard in the sleeve and gouged the cylinder or the honing machine gouged the cylinder on insertion.  What does the spigot look like on the other side?

Bruce00

Quote from: SP33DY on March 26, 2022, 08:55:31 AMI bored and honed a pair of 114 cylinders to 4.180" and saw the same thing in one of the cylinders. It didn't show up until Iwas almost done honing it. I attributed it to a casting void in the liner.

Thats nice to know, thanks

Bruce00

Quote from: carpenterjoe on March 28, 2022, 10:07:59 AMI think Dave, up at JDs. Has seen that a few times.

Dave has seen mine, as he  was installing the cam and tuning.

Fast forward and mucho $$'s, Dave built me a TMan 130

Bruce00

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 28, 2022, 10:48:51 AMSo this is a MOCO steel lined cylinder?

Correct, out of HD's 131 kit

Bruce00

Quote from: ziggy24 on March 30, 2022, 09:04:58 AMIs that the bottom of the cylinder? Piston rocking maybe? Do the marks line up with the ring orientation on the piston?

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on March 31, 2022, 07:58:17 AMThe gouges appear to be below the ring travel.  I'd say the boring bar picked up something hard in the sleeve and gouged the cylinder or the honing machine gouged the cylinder on insertion.  What does the spigot look like on the other side?

I really don't know, but Iam giving the dealer tech the benefit of doubt, and say he wiped down the cylinders before installing and would have seen the damage.  Nothing abnormal on the spigot end.
I was hoping someone here might have seen this before and offered some insight.

At this point it doesn't matter any more as the MoCo flagged my vin for the PowerVision and the dealership has left me blowing in the wind. Dave at JD's Cycle, has built me a TMan 130 and Iam looking for another dealership to spend money in

Thermodyne

What's the skirt clearance on the piston, with the jug in plates.  Looks like the prisons were rocking in the bore.  Can also be from loose ring grooves, but not really enough miles for that.

CVOThunder

Has me wondering what mine look like with 10,000 miles. Thinking about upgrading flywheels to Darkhorse keeping stock stroke but better rods. Grudge box as well. Meh, we'll see.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.