April 25, 2024, 02:19:51 PM

News:

07 inner primary race

Started by tbird, March 24, 2022, 04:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsachs1 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tbird

In the process of changing the inner primary bearing and race, I am waiting for the race to come in. Its my bike and wasn't beat on and has a andrews 48 so not a big motor. 40,000 miles and it has walked in so I have to remove the right tranny cover and tap the main shaft over to get the removal tool on, of course that meant removing the stock exhaust system which is a pain in the ass. The race only fits 06 dynas and all 07 big twins. S&S doesn't make the improved race for this model. Seems that this will happen again. Buddy who is a truck mechanic told me to red locktite the new race. Any suggestions besides trading it in.

Scotty

March 24, 2022, 04:29:36 PM #1 Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 04:37:09 PM by Scotty
Quote from: tbird on March 24, 2022, 04:17:29 PMThe race only fits 06 dynas and all 07 big twins. S&S doesn't make the improved race for this model.

Your message is convoluted to say the least. You have a 07 and you write that S&S make one to fit an 07 but not for your model?!?

I am confused.

Anyway just use the stock race and tig weld in a couple places once in position. Quite a few people done it on here and will never move and still easy to remove.

FSG

Quote from: Scotty on March 24, 2022, 04:29:36 PMAnyway just use the stock race and tig weld in a couple places once in position

:agree:

originally S&S only had the 56-5089  =>  Primary Bearing Race for OEM 5 Speed Transmission After Market & 6 Speed Transmissions Main Shaft

then the problem started with HD changing dims of the mainshaft so at that time there was no point in S&S making a newer inner race

then HD came out with a kit to backward upgrade the mainshafts to one with a step that would prevent the race from walking

in the meantime S&S did a new race BUT skipped the problem year(s) ......

well that's the way the cookie crumbles ....  as they say

for reference

56-5089  =>  Primary Bearing Race for OEM 5 Speed Transmission After Market & 6 Speed Transmissions Main Shaft

Instructions

560-0241  =>  Inner Primary Bearing Race for Big Twin 08-Up

Instructions

Herko

Several years back I installed a 56-5089 on a 2007 Touring with success.

Pics are gone but the discussion is still there in this thread:
https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,30244.0/all.html?sslRedirect
Post #21 in particular.

HTH
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Admiral Akbar

I still have an 07 FLHTC with 106000 miles on it.. From what I can tell there really isn't any difference between the early TC inner sleeve and the 07 sleeve. All the dimensions are the same. I was thinking that HD might have made the sleeve fit a little tighter but I could not measure any.  The only difference on the bearing looked to be how it was assembled. All the dimensions between early and late were the same..

KM

Hey, I'm in the same stage of my primary rebuild. Stator went south. Found my clutch hub inner splines all crunchy, so new everything. I have a screamin eagle compensator installed couple years back. Wondered if that was cause but see it is not uncommon. Haven't checked the race set but I will. What about this tig weld to the race? Anyone have a picture of that?  :scratch:

xlfan

Quote from: KM on April 26, 2022, 08:07:48 AMHey, I'm in the same stage of my primary rebuild. Stator went south. Found my clutch hub inner splines all crunchy, so new everything. I have a screamin eagle compensator installed couple years back. Wondered if that was cause but see it is not uncommon. Haven't checked the race set but I will. What about this tig weld to the race? Anyone have a picture of that?  :scratch:

Too tight primary chain due to the automatic chain tensioner for 2006 and 2007 could be the root cause?

tbird

I put the newer version of the chain tensioner back in my 07