April 19, 2024, 07:38:40 PM

News:

Red Loctite

Started by billbuilds, March 25, 2022, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

The SM says to use Loctite 262 on the clutch hub nut and the Man-O-War compensator installation instructions says to use it on the T70 motor bolt. I'm having a heck of a time finding it around here and a 6ml tube from eBay would be at least a week to get here. Kind of a rhetorical question but there really isn't any suitable substitute for this in either Loctite or Permatex brand thread locker is there? 
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

kd

I just searched "what is equal to Loctite 262" and got a bunch of hits. I am sure Loctite 262 equivalents would find as many. Too many to post here.  :teeth:
KD

billbuilds

The only thing that I see listed as a direct equivalent to Loctite 262 would be Permatex 19962 and that is not available around here either. Looks like I'll have to order some. Yes, I could have planed a little better.  :banghead:
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Hossamania

Just asking, did you check local hardware stores too?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

FSG

billbuilds

Hoss, There's a Home Depot, Lowes, NAPA, O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Advance Auto and Aubuchon Hardware in this town and none of them carry the stuff.     
I

FSG, I have both Loctite 272 and Permatex 27100 which is apparently the same as Loctite 271. These are both rated as high strength where as the 262 is medium-high strength. I supposed that I could use the 27100 sparingly though it doesn't really look like great riding weather thru the middle to end of next week so I'm kind of leaning toward just ordering in the 262.
                                     Thanks for the replies, Bill

Ohio HD

March 25, 2022, 04:27:50 PM #6 Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 04:39:46 PM by Ohio HD
Amazon shows Loctite 262 can be delivered by Sunday in my area. And I live in the country.

I also would not be concerned in using 271. 262 is rated up to 3/4" fasteners, 271 up to 1" fasteners. The break away strength for 271 is about 25% higher than 262.

The way I use it is I make a small two or three drops on the thread, take a Q-tip and roll it around the threads to make a small ring around the fastener. some is pulled away from the Q-tip, but in essence I have a ring around the fastener about 6 to 8 threads wide.  You can also use a clean small blade screw driver to push it around the thread.

Amazon ~ Loctite 262

JW113

A lot, if not most, parts stores are now carrying a product called Permatex Threadlocker Orange, High Strength Removable. Supposed to be stronger than Blue/242, but not a non-removable stud locker like 272. I've been using it a lot lately, seems to work great.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JerseyT

kd

Lots of good suggestions here.  I feel for you and hate it when this stuff happens.  The bottom line IMO is the close matches you have should work fine on a clean dry thread.  All of the options will reqquire heat to soften it at removal time and that says a lot for their capacity to do the job for you.  Or, you can just order some and wait.  Do you have anything else to do with the time?
KD

billbuilds

Brian, You are a lot more centrally located geographically and I'm sure that helps cut down shipping time. The q-tip method of thread lock application sounds like it distributes the drops real well on to the threads.

JerseyT, I did not think to check the dealership, thanks.

JW, I had not heard of that stuff. One noted feature of the 262 is it's made to work well in an oily environment. None of the others (242, 271 or 272) say anything about oil compatibility.

kd, Hopefully the dealership will have some 262 but if they have to order it I might just as well do that myself and save a trip. I might was well wait for the new axle kit to come as put the rear wheel back on now. The estimated availability date of the piston pins that I need for my 99 FLHR has been bumped up to 4/27. I need to replace the upper control arms on my Tacoma. Will have to shuffle things around a bit to fit everything in the garage.

Ohio HD

That's true Bill, as you posted this I recalled that there's an Amazon distribution center about 40 miles away. Also the airport in northern Kentucky is about 45 miles as well. I'm in the beginning of the country belt, not all that far from larger cities.

FSG

if time is on your side then order and wait ......  you prolly have lots of other things to do   :SM:

JW113

OK point taken, they do not say anything about oily environment. However... have you had the opportunity to try and remove a compensator nut or clutch hub nut that had 272 on it? It can get ugly. I'm not so sure those others not rated for oily environment have any issue with it, at least from what I've had to deal with...
 :crook:

But... You're in the driver's seat here. Follow your own compass.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JSD

Beware if buying on internet as China has Loctite knock offs, check where it is coming from.

Ohio HD

That's not true. If you know where your buying it, you have no worries. By from Grainger, McMaster-Carr, direct from Henkel Chemicals. You just have to use common sense.

JSD

On e bay i was looking to stock up my Loctite and found some Cheap and it was from China so i did not buy it.  

JSD

Quote from: JSD on March 25, 2022, 11:06:24 PMOn e bay i was looking to stock up my Loctite and found some Cheap and it was from China so i did not buy it. 
I just went on Ebay AU and the locktite (cheap) has chinese writing on it plus it has Henkel on it what do you think? Is it made there or a knock off. Also is this the way to use Quote i may be doing it wrong.

FSG

Quote from: JSD on March 25, 2022, 11:06:24 PMOn e bay i was looking to stock up my Loctite and found some Cheap and it was from China so i did not buy it. 

this is what it looks like when I use the function making sure I'm outside the [quote ][/ quote] tags

billbuilds

JSD, I see what you mean to some degree but keep in mind that Henkel is a multinational outfit and this stuff is made in a lot of different countries. Will only buy the stuff with English labels though.  :smile: 

Well, Surprise, surprise, the dealer does not have any Loctite 262 in stock. So...

I found a 6ml tube on eBay from a 100% positive feedback seller for $10.29 "out the door". Shipping is free but couldn't avoid the 5.5% for the governor. It's coming from Cleveland so should be here by 4-02 easy.

Hossamania

I didn't know that stuff was so hard to get, I've always just walked into the store and gotten it.

hattitude

Quote from: Hossamania on March 26, 2022, 07:10:07 AMI didn't know that stuff was so hard to get, I've always just walked into the store and gotten it.

Yeah, this thread has been an eye opener for me.....

I've seen them out of stock once or twice in a particular size/flavor, but every auto parts store I have been in, has a significant shelf area full of various Locktite and/or Permatex thread lockers...

:nix:

Hossamania

Now you're going to make me check my stock and check for local availability.

Jim Bronson

I've always been able to get it at Home Depot whenever I need it, so I've never felt the need to stock up. Maybe that has changed. I'll be heading over there today or tomorrow and take a look.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ohio HD

Quote from: JSD on March 25, 2022, 11:21:26 PM
I just went on Ebay AU and the locktite (cheap) has chinese writing on it plus it has Henkel on it what do you think? Is it made there or a knock off. Also is this the way to use Quote i may be doing it wrong.

Show me the link from Henkel. They're the manufacturer of Loctite. They may sell their products packaged for the Asian market. That doesn't mean it's a knock off.

When I worked for Ingersoll Rand I spent five months in China setting up factories for Ingersoll Rand products. The products were sold in Asia and Australia. We applied labels to the products in the language of where they were to be shipped. They weren't knock offs.