March 29, 2024, 12:15:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New from Rochester NY area, I am currently working on a 1987 flhtc evo elctra gl

Started by Newto87evoelctraglide, April 04, 2022, 05:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newto87evoelctraglide

I am currently  replacing the transmission on my bike, these transmissions seem to be very hard to come by. I purchased what I thought was a used direct replacement. But it is not. The case has minor differences.  Looking for some advise as to how to proceed. Has any one ever replaced the inner primary case, starter and trans from an 89 ?

xlfan

Newto87evoelctraglide

I believe it is, not 100% sure. The person I bought it from said it would work on the 87 evo. After I had taken out the trans, I noticed a few differences,  the hole for the starter shaft was larger, the dowel on the back of the old trans was not on the one I purchased and the side door plate on the one I purchased did not have a bumped out shoulder at the bottom left corner.

xlfan

IIRC it is doable with 89-93 (or 94-00) inner and outer primary case and 89-93 (or 94-00) starter plus complete starter jackshaft for the specified years, given that your new transmission has a cone mainshaft.

Did it once on a -87 Softail, but they have a different primary case size. That transmission had a splined mainshaft (90-later), so I had to change the complete clutch setup as well.

Hossamania

Sounds like it might be easier to source a different, proper tranny.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

xlfan

It depends of the original goal, mine was to get the better starter motor system  🤣

Newto87evoelctraglide

Xlfan, thanks for the insight this is the kind of advice I am looking for. The new trans has a tapered shaft, with the press on race for the main bearing. So if I found a inner primary case for that year trans, you think the outer case may not fit? Also that answers another guestion, I need to replace starter jackshaft as well. 

Newto87evoelctraglide

Hossamania, Just trying to figure out what parts will be easier to get and compare the difference. I believe the inner primary case is bad. But I M not finding many inner primary cases for this bike. They seem to be very rare.

Hossamania

Sorry to hear you're having trouble locating parts. Hopefully someone here can help you with figuring out what fits what.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.