April 16, 2024, 04:40:18 PM

News:

Mounting drag pipes on Dyna?

Started by 1982fxr, April 06, 2022, 01:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1982fxr

I just put drag pipes on my 95 fxdwg.  I used the brace that ties the two pipes together.

Is there some kind of stand-off clamps so I can still use the factory mounting spots? 

Or is it not necessary because the pipes are so light?

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

1982fxr

This is what I need.  Just ordered them, gonna take about a week.  No one had them in stock locally.

Is it OK to ride without these clamps?  I don't want to risk breaking a stud...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273855901126?hash=item3fc3156dc6:g:Zi4AAOSwV1Bc4uy0

Hossamania

If they are not securely fastened and are bouncing around, I wouldn't ride it. The pipes will crack or they will break a stud.
When I ran drag pipes, they came with a transmission mount to secure the pipes. Yours shouldn't need those pipe clamps, there should be a bracket to secure them from behind to keep the look clean.

Hossamania

Do you have any pictures of your current mounting system?

1982fxr

I can get some tomorrow. I used the bracket that connects the two pipes to each other, the one that uses t bolts. It's from the old, I assume factory system.

The other two mounts that I ordered those clamps for, one is a small L bracket that is bolted to the motor cone where the ignition wires pass under.

The other was a bracket behind the clutch ball and ramp cover.  The clamps on the old pipes were too strong to open enough to slip off.  I think they would have broke.

These are cheap garbage Jireh pipes.  The ones i ordered should work, I just needed some flexible enough to slide over the pipes to use the existing brackets.

Hossamania

I had the cheap Jireh pipes too, but they were specific to my model and came with the proper bracket, no clamps around the pipe needed, there are some slots on the back of the pipes that accept the heads of the bolts, those fit in the bracket, all hardware hidden using the bracket that bolts on that tranny ball and ramp cover.

1982fxr

Hmm I'll take a better look tomorrow but I didn't get any bracket with the pipes.

The ad said it would come with all mounting hardware, but since it's imported crap I just figured par for the course.

The workmanship and chrome on these is...interesting.

JW113

You know, the thing with drag pipes, ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

4:37

Um. I'll shut up now. Enjoy. They look real cool.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

Yup, but they look cool, sound cool, and look cool!
Best sounding pipe for Shovel motors. Not bad on Evos and Twin Cams either, unless you're next to them!
Form over function often rules in the HD world.
Had them on my stock 88" Roadking, I knew they were not a performance pipe except at wot. They were not used to chug along, I used them properly. My friends did not agree.
They were swapped out for a ThunderHeader once the motor was built. Also not a friendly pipe for fellow riders near me...

1982fxr

Quote from: JW113 on April 06, 2022, 07:15:35 PMYou know, the thing with drag pipes, ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

4:37

Um. I'll shut up now. Enjoy. They look real cool.

-JW

Yeah because my stock except for air cleaner 1995 fxdwg was setting land speed records...

Slow is slow, who cares?

Hossamania

This is a crude drawing of the mounting system I had (not exactly to scale). On the pipes those squares are the slotted mounts on the back side (unseen when mounted), the mount shown below the pipes. The mount goes up behind behind the pipes, the two holes in front mount to the transmission (I think), the 4 holes mount to the pipes. It's been a lot of years since I mounted them.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

That's actually nice table CAD.  :teeth:

It shows clearly how it worked. 

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 07, 2022, 05:20:08 AMThat's actually nice table CAD.  :teeth:

It shows clearly how it worked. 

Thanks, took a couple versions to make it legible! I may have missed a separate mount that bolted to the tranny, then that plate bolts to the tranny mount, but the basics are there.
Wanna see me draw a horse? Looks like a rhino. Draw a dog? Looks like a rhino.

Buglet

There also should be one for the front pipe that mounts of the cam cover.

jsachs1

Rubber mount bikes. Exhaust system needs to be mounted by engine brackets. NOT solid mounted to the frame.
John

1340evo

April 08, 2022, 12:15:05 AM #16 Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 12:23:46 AM by 1340evo
They can get quite complex I guess. This is one I made for drag pipes onto a FXR....

hbkeith

Quote from: 1982fxr on April 06, 2022, 01:47:08 PMI just put drag pipes on my 95 fxdwg.  I used the brace that ties the two pipes together.

Is there some kind of stand-off clamps so I can still use the factory mounting spots? 

Or is it not necessary because the pipes are so light?
Show a picture of the Pipes and brackets

1982fxr

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

1982fxr

Pics probably aren't very useful.  They're just the factory mounts but that's what you guys wanted to see.

In the first two pics are the one that comes off the Trans, I need to put that back on when I get the aftermarket clamps I ordered.

Which are now delayed.  So my bike sits.  Cheap parts ain't cheap and honestly, having an older bike when you have limited time to ride, is just not worth it. 

Hossamania

What kind of mounts are on the pipes themselves? Are there any tabs or slots on the back of them to attach mounts?

1982fxr

Yes it has the slots on back and came with T bolts so I could use this factory bracket that attaches the pipes to each other

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174229765416

Hossamania

Then you should be able to figure out a way to mount them without having to use those "collars" around the pipes to detract from the smoothe look of the pipes. It may take a little "engineering" and minor fabrication, but it should be do-able.

cheech

Quote from: 1982fxr on April 12, 2022, 06:55:59 PMCheap parts ain't cheap and honestly, having an older bike when you have limited time to ride, is just not worth it. 
IMO, Older bikes if not molested aren't necessarily all that bad.

You're learning.
Most the time they are cheap because they don't have all the required hardware or brackets or aren't even engineered with them.

Even some of the "best" branded pipes have issues with mounts or brackets later breaking or whatnot from vibration.

What exhaust was on it?
Where'd you get the drag pipes?

Hossamania

Cheech, the op mentions they are cheap Jireh drag pipes.

hbkeith

Quote from: 1982fxr on April 12, 2022, 08:27:16 PMYes it has the slots on back and came with T bolts so I could use this factory bracket that attaches the pipes to each other

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174229765416
The slots in back of pipes for T bolts line up with the holes in this bracket your showing here ?