Recommended programmable ignition for 2002 FLHTCUI

Started by FLH_Rider, April 07, 2022, 07:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLH_Rider

I just acquired a 2002 FLHTCUI that has S&S 106 stroker wheels, S&S 585G cams, Zipper 54mm throttle body, Rhinehart true duals, SE air box,
Original build had a PC111R fuel management system on it, the previous owner had a problem on a trip and had a Screaming Eagle ignition installed, Previous dyno sheets show  a slight power loss with the SE ignition,
Just wondering what would be the best one to use if I decide to go with a different ignition system.
The original dyno sheet shows 113.4 max power and 122.0 max torque
The Screaming Eagle is about 10 less on both horsepower and torque, I do realize it could be a difference of dyno and dyno,,,

Hossamania

Were it me, I would talk to the shop that is going to tune it and ask them what they prefer.
TTS and Power Vision are quite popular right now.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

cheech

Well your 02 should be a Delphi injected bike if it's never been fiddled with.
So it doesn't have  stand alone ignition like a carb bike.
It has an ECM that controls fuel and timing.

So something is amiss if they say they installed a SE ignition module.
If it had a piggyback tuner and then they removed it and then maybe flashed it with a SE cal.
PCIII  is a Power Commander 3, it's a piggyback tuner.

It could very well be down on power and need retuned.
Read on this site.
As said TTS or Powervison to reflash.
Whole can of worms and options.

rigidthumper

The original SE Race Tuner that would have been used on that bike is a flash tuner, which is used to modify the programming in the ECM. The PC3r is a pass through tuner, so it's used to modify the signals going to/coming from the ECM. Either device should be able to produce the same results.
Can you post a picture of the SE unit?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

FLH_Rider

Here pictures of the module and the SE Pro tuner I have

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

rigidthumper

That's the Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner.  Works OK. I've tuned a metriccrapton® with those, mostly simple stage  builds. Should be able to be dialed in adequately, if you can get a copy of the software. HD had to discontinue the product since it was deemed to be "Non-EPA legal".

Appowner

Ditto on checking first with whomever is going to do your tuning.  And if you haven't already, do a thorough check of the available mechanics.  Once I have identified a good mechanic to do the work I would tend to run with what they're comfortable with.  Even if I favored a different device.

My story for what it's worth.  08 Softail Custom, FXSTC.  OEM ECM had the decel popping so popular then.  I tried the TTS using a highly recommended Indy.  It helped but didn't quite correct things.  I also played with a couple of the fad devices of the time.  Simply no good.

After a couple of years, 2010 or so, another Indy offered to install a Thunder-Max for 30 days free trial.  If I didn't like it he'd remove it and charge me nothing for the whole experiment.  What could I lose?

I still have the bike and it still has the same T-Max.  The engine has been upped from 96 to 103 and I now describe it as the engine that should have come from the factory.

When I moved several states over I called Zippers and asked who in my new area handled T-Max.  They gave me 3 names one of which is just 7 miles from the house.  Not that I've needed his expertise but knowing he understands the T-Max is a plus.  Especially since the local HD Dealer won't service bikes over 10 years old.

But like has been said, Check with the mechanic first to see what they prefer.  And WHY?

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 09, 2022, 07:32:16 PMThat's the Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner.  Works OK. I've tuned a metriccrapton® with those, mostly simple stage  builds. Should be able to be dialed in adequately, if you can get a copy of the software. HD had to discontinue the product since it was deemed to be "Non-EPA legal".

I believe the SEPST was built by Steve Cole under contract with Harley. I am not a tuner but I understand there are similarities to the TTS tuner.  It's just not as detailed in the tuning cells.
KD

rigidthumper

Quote from: kd on April 10, 2022, 05:56:22 AMI believe the SEPST was built by Steve Cole under contract with Harley. I am not a tuner but I understand there are similarities to the TTS tuner.  It's just not as detailed in the tuning cells.
Not exactly- the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) and all the stage download cartridges were products made by TTS (Steve Cole) for HD. The SEPST was made by Kent Moore with licensing from Bosch after HD & TTS parted company.

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 10, 2022, 06:04:34 AM
Quote from: kd on April 10, 2022, 05:56:22 AMI believe the SEPST was built by Steve Cole under contract with Harley. I am not a tuner but I understand there are similarities to the TTS tuner.  It's just not as detailed in the tuning cells.
Not exactly- the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) and all the stage download cartridges were products made by TTS (Steve Cole) for HD. The SEPST was made by Kent Moore with licensing from Bosch after HD & TTS parted company.

:up: Right you are.  I typed the words "I believe" because I knew the SC / Harley relationship came to an end in there somewhere.  I have and used a SEPST tuner on my 120 to get me by for a while.  It did the job but I wanted to go deeper and went with the TTS blue dongle that was fresh out at the time.
KD

cheech

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 10, 2022, 06:04:34 AMNot exactly- the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) and all the stage download cartridges were products made by TTS (Steve Cole) for HD. The SEPST was made by Kent Moore with licensing from Bosch after HD & TTS parted company.

Acronym soup.  :crook:
P and S swapped between the two.
This is a question so to speak.

SEPST = Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner
Full bore tuning, old SE literature says didn't maintain warranty, EPA banned, named in the lawsuit.
Who made it?

Was this aka the SERT?
Or did they have 2 separate tuning devices?
The SEPST and the SERT.

SESPT = Screamin Eagle Street Performance Tuner
Limited EPA required tuning.
Made by Kent Moore?

rigidthumper

SERT was made by The Turbo Shop (TTS). AFAIK, SESPT & SEPST were both done by KM under license from Bosch. HD paid the fine and complied with the settle agreement to used the Street Tuner, and never sell the Super Tuner again.

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 11, 2022, 11:17:34 AMSERT was made by The Turbo Shop (TTS). AFAIK, SESPT & SEPST were both done by KM under license from Bosch. HD paid the fine and complied with the settle agreement to used the Street Tuner, and never sell the Super Tuner again.

:up:  That's the way as I got it from the horse's mouth in person.  That was almost 10 years ago and I just didn't digest it well enough to remember and put it together as well.  I was told the relationship began because the MOCO was having trouble sorting out issues with the operation that needed to be fixed.  Once that occurred they moved on to another procurement arrangement. The end of the SE tuner line was a separate compliance issue brought on by the EPA many years later.
KD

jty

Find a tuner who is willing to tune with your SEPST. Technically it is very similar to the tts and power vision, no point in buying them.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office