April 24, 2024, 05:21:38 PM

News:

Saddlebags

Started by roadkingdresser, April 09, 2022, 11:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

Picked up a set of original saddlebags and mounting brackets for my 66. I really don't want to bolt the brackets right to the fender struts.What kind of spacers would I use to fit the concave in the strut to keep from marring it all up and be able to keep the strut clean and polished too.Thanks.
roadkingdresser

kd

I used 1/4" long heavy wall spacers with a rubber backed flat washer to the fender struts on a on a few.
KD

76shuvlinoff

Since my rear struts are aftermarket crap on my 76 I put a layer of blue painters tape over the chrome and bolted them up. Ran a couple different sets of large soft bags for years with minimal marring. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

rkrcpa

90908-58 Spacer, support bracket if you can find it. I generally just go to the hardware store and get a spacer. The on near me sells chrome hardware that includes spacers of varying sizes. If I remember correctly 1/4" (maybe 3/8) thick should do the trick.

bump

On my shovelhead that bags were not straight with rails, looked funny. The struts are FX style and the bags are swap meet parts. $40 for bags and mounts about 35 years ago. I made up some aluminum spacers on lathe to make bags set straight.

kd

Quote from: rkrcpa on April 16, 2022, 08:54:00 PM90908-58 Spacer, support bracket if you can find it. I generally just go to the hardware store and get a spacer. The on near me sells chrome hardware that includes spacers of varying sizes. If I remember correctly 1/4" (maybe 3/8) thick should do the trick.

It's been decades since I set mine up.  IIRC the spacers were about 3/8".  Maybe test fit the support brackets up using some nuts as spacers for a test run.  Follow that up with a trip to the local hardware store for some stainless spacers of the appropriate size.
KD

roadkingdresser

Thanks for the replies, got some mirror spacers.I might give them a try.If they don't work I have some great advice from you all.
roadkingdresser