April 26, 2024, 06:08:01 AM

News:

Broken cuff bolt

Started by Hossamania, April 16, 2022, 10:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigidthumper

The current M8 lifter guide (plastic) is virtually the same one being used in the late model GM V8s, including the Corvette.

Link to pic.
I think the stock part is adequate for a normal production engine, and the S&S guides an upgrade.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

Quote from: HogMike on September 03, 2022, 04:54:30 AMFWIW:
I like the idea of the S&S cuffs.
The fit over the lifters is pretty tight and on the install you can notice if they are aligned properly to allow the lifters to move easily without binding.

It is easier to remove lifters to check wear on cam lobes and rollers without going into the cam chest.

I'm thinking studs and nuts on the cuffs in the future. :potstir:

In my opinion, the problem is that H-D uses grade 5 bolts for the cuffs.  That's why they are breaking.  The S&S cuffs come with grade 8 bolts, eliminating the bolt breaking problem.  This problem would have never happened if H-D would have coughed up a couple cents more and just used grade 8 like they do all over the rest of the engine.

Propflux01

Breaking just during removal, or during operation?
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

les

Xyzzy

Here is an interesting bolt removal tool. Check it out at the 21m30s mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCIqJIaZ2I

pauly

+1 on the inductive heater - very useful tool for a hundred bucks!
Thanks
Pauly

Quote from: Xyzzy on January 31, 2024, 01:37:55 PMHere is an interesting bolt removal tool. Check it out at the 21m30s mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCIqJIaZ2I

FSG

I'd be looking real close at what length that #1 Screw really needs to be and either shorten it OR remove some of the starting threads ...... 

of course that's after successfully removing the mothers in the first place  :SM:

les

This bolt should be a Grade 8, like the rest of the bike is.  Wish H-D would stop using the Grade 5 bolts not just for the cuffs, but also for the oil coolant line manifolds.