April 19, 2024, 06:51:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

103 HO cams in 96"?

Started by Nebraskarider1, April 17, 2022, 06:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 20, 2022, 06:23:21 PM
Quote from: 60Gunner on April 20, 2022, 06:17:42 PMI can't recommend the 255s either. They're heat monsters and they die off well before redline.
Even many that WANT torque cams that die early end up pulling them due to heat. That's why you can find them used for cheap.

Heat is due to a lean tune, not the cams. The CVO 110 motors are larger, they're create more heat, and they're tuned for EPA. Tune them for proper AFR with proper timing, they run very well and as cool as any other motor.

:agree:  It's almost always about the tune.  A custom map, auto tune or the FP3 probably won't cut it.  It will take a real tune with a tuner and operator that knows what they are doing with a device that has the capabilities and enough cells to accomplish a good tune on a dyno.
KD

Trev T

The rushmore bikes ran really good in stock form with a good stage 1 on them for "stock" cams. Having put a set of rushmore cams in a stock 96 with a .030 gasket I can say they are much better than the no overlap small lift one dot/two dot cam set. If being budget minded any improvement is worth it. light years better no, much improved yes.

60Gunner

April 21, 2022, 03:16:51 PM #27 Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:06:19 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: Hossamania on April 20, 2022, 04:13:00 AMI honestly would have a hard time putting the stock cams back in just because I know how well a better cam will work. Since you already have the tuner that cost is off the table. I know the budget would grow, but to me it is a justifiable expense.
Good luck with your build whichever way you go!

I didn't put 20 miles on my stage 1 103 after buying it used before ripping them out. Just made me sick
having spent good money on a bike with those cams. True story. 20 miles and they were paper weights. Thru a set of S&S 570s and a set of .030s in and I could look myse!f in the mirror again.
I would've pimped my ass out on the corner of 4th & Main to get it done if I had to.
$270 for those $570s brand new.

Trev T

I agree the no/low power cams should be tossed on any twin cam of that era. the rushmore cams are different than the one dot/two dot 07-13 TC 96/103 cam sets that your 2013 FLSTC  would have come with. My wife's 2011 FLSTC had those crappy no overlap stock cams for a week, S&S 551's went in that one with V&H longshots. 

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: 60Gunner on April 21, 2022, 03:16:51 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on April 20, 2022, 04:13:00 AMI honestly would have a hard time putting the stock cams back in just because I know how well a better cam will work. Since you already have the tuner that cost is off the table. I know the budget would grow, but to me it is a justifiable expense.
Good luck with your build whichever way you go!

I didn't put 20 miles on my stage 1 103 after buying it used before ripping them out. Just made me sick
having spent good money on a bike with those cams. True story. 20 miles and they were paper weights. Thru a set of S&S 570s and a set of .030s in and I could look myse!f in the mirror again.
I would've pimped my ass out on the corner of 4th & Main to get it done if I had to.
$270 for those $570s brand new.

If I was desperate enough to do that I'd go for a whole new bike. It's not whether I have the money or not but where I choose to spend it. I have another bike with only 20k on it. The bike has 118k on it and has never been opened up. Stock cams got me around reliably for 118k just fine and will continue, as long as the 118k bottom end or something else decides not to take a 💩