April 19, 2024, 02:14:19 AM

News:

Tuning technique

Started by Hossamania, April 23, 2022, 07:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

April 23, 2022, 07:55:08 AM Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:09:21 AM by Hossamania
A friend changed the cam in his '19 Ultra last weekend, I posted about the cuff bolt breaking. Today it's going in for a tune. The tuner does not use bungs in the exhaust, but shoves the sniffers into the mufflers.
Will this work good enough? Or is the problem that it will work "good enough"?
I post this as rhetorical question, because, really? It can't possibly work good enough, can it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Buglet

Believe it or not there is very good professional tuners that still use the probes up the exhaust. One of them is highly recommended on this site.  I rather put the 02 bungs in the pipes if not then well nuts, but that just me. 

kd

My last tune (close to you) used 18mm, 12mm and the tubes midway as a reference between the 02 sensor readings.  The tuner claimed he got a better idea of what was happening in the exhaust before the 12mm sensors (late model) that are near the transmission and always hooked up.  For example he said feed back from the opposite header pipe at a collector could change the closed loop portion at certain RPM's.
KD

Coff 06

I know a couple of tuners here in California that do use 02 information.They still stick a sniffer up the exhaust to see what's going out the other end.I am not one to question their tactics.
        Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

Hossamania

That is good to know, thanks for the info.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harpwrench

If the end of the tube is just shoved into the mufflers it's not going to be good, they need to be up in the vicinity of where bungs would be

jjdalynh

Quote from: harpwrench on April 23, 2022, 02:33:24 PMIf the end of the tube is just shoved into the mufflers it's not going to be good, they need to be up in the vicinity of where bungs would be

i think for using widebands it's best if they are up close to the head vs where the stock NBs are.