April 24, 2024, 10:09:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil pressure/First start

Started by Wookie3011, May 01, 2022, 06:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wookie3011

I'm cranking over my 2016 Softail FatBoy S 124" build to achieve oil pressure with both spark plugs removed for preamble to first start. I purchased a cheapo oil pressure gauge and the threads where crossed in the adapter that the oil sending unit screwed into. I didn't notice until it cross threaded my OEM pressure switch.  I then flipped the scratch for an arlen ness oil pressure gauge and a new sending unit from Dennis kirk.  I've cranked and cranked the motor over and the red oil can light doesn't go out on the dash. The arlen Ness unit however says I have 20 PSI while cranking it over. The oil sending switch is screwed into the adapter that the arlen ness reads from also. This is a new oil pressure sending switch. Am I missing something or did I get a bad switch? Don't they both read the same pressure area? Does the light always stay on until starting up? Thanks

Ohio HD

Take the sending unit out and crank it over. If oil comes out, most likely the sending unit is bad.

Wookie3011

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 01, 2022, 06:04:50 PMTake the sending unit out and crank it over. If oil comes out, most likely the sending unit is bad.

Quote from: Wookie3011 on May 01, 2022, 06:06:01 PMOk thanks Ohio.

The switch should turn the light off around 3#.  Do as Ohio says and watch the flow. That's real information right there.  Get some rags in place first cuz if there is 20# like the mechanical gauge says it wont be gentle flow either.  Once you get flow try the sender again with liquid at the base this time.
KD

Wookie3011

May 01, 2022, 07:43:51 PM #4 Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 07:59:47 PM by kd
Quote from: kd on May 01, 2022, 06:10:27 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on May 01, 2022, 06:04:50 PMTake the sending unit out and crank it over. If oil comes out, most likely the sending unit is bad.

Quote from: Wookie3011 on May 01, 2022, 06:06:01 PMOk thanks Ohio.

The switch should turn the light off around 3#.  Do as Ohio says and watch the flow. That's real information right there.  Get some rags in place first cuz if there is 20# like the mechanical gauge says it wont be gentle flow either.  Once you get flow try the sender again with liquid at the base this time.

I pulled the oil cap out to look for return as I cranked it and it had vacuum in the tank. I had to leave for work and will update when I get another chance to work on it. I really appreciate the information and help.

mkd

my guess you had air in the lines. get rid ofthe air lock and be good to go.

Wookie3011

Update: I'm good to go. It had air lock. Pulled the sensor and added oil inside of it. Thanks for all who helped.

kd

Did you actually crank the engine over and check the flow while you had the sensor out?
KD

Wookie3011

Have a 2016 FLSTFBS 124" build. Doing heat Cycles and oil pressure is at 40PSI idle. Would this be to high? At what pressure does the relief valve open? 35PSI still? Done a few searches and haven't found my answer sorry if it's been asked before. Thanks

Ohio HD

The S&S I think is about 37 pounds. Also as the oil warms up it'll go done. 

Wookie3011

Wookie3011

Yes I did KD, quite messy, but it shot oil out very well. The light is off. I was under the assumption that the oil light should go out during cranking. It doesn't on mine or on any of my buddies bikes either. Only after it starts does the oil light go off. I swore I heard Tatro say he hits it waiting for the oil light to go out but couldn't find the video. I'm still going to remove the top rocker cover to verify oil up top for peace of mind. Stuff like that will eat away at me until I know for sure. I'll obsess over it. Sorry my response I so belated. For some reason when I pull up the site latley it hasn't been giving me the new label on posts I've started. I'm using android so that might be the disconnect.

koko3052

May 08, 2022, 09:34:06 AM #12 Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 12:40:50 PM by koko3052
Quote from: Wookie3011 on May 07, 2022, 11:22:47 PMYes I did KD, quite messy, but it shot oil out very well. The light is off. I was under the assumption that the oil light should go out during cranking. It doesn't on mine or on any of my buddies bikes either. Only after it starts does the oil light go off. I swore I heard Tatro say he hits it waiting for the oil light to go out but couldn't find the video. I'm still going to remove the top rocker cover to verify oil up top for peace of mind. Stuff like that will eat away at me until I know for sure. I'll obsess over it. Sorry my response I so belated. For some reason when I pull up the site latley it hasn't been giving me the new label on posts I've started. I'm using android so that might be the disconnect.

If you're watching/listening to Tatro....you just need a bigger hammer!

HogMike

Quote from: koko3052 on May 08, 2022, 09:34:06 AM
Quote from: Wookie3011 on May 07, 2022, 11:22:47 PMYes I did KD, quite messy, but it shot oil out very well. The light is off. I was under the assumption that the oil light should go out during cranking. It doesn't on mine or on any of my buddies bikes either. Only after it starts does the oil light go off. I swore I heard Tatro say he hits it waiting for the oil light to go out but couldn't find the video. I'm still going to remove the top rocker cover to verify oil up top for peace of mind. Stuff like that will eat away at me until I know for sure. I'll obsess over it. Sorry my response I so belated. For some reason when I pull up the site latley it hasn't been giving me the new label on posts I've started. I'm using android so that might be the disconnect.

If you're watching/listening to Tratro....you just need a bigger hammer!

:hyst:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Wookie3011

Quote from: HogMike on May 08, 2022, 10:23:47 AM
Quote from: koko3052 on May 08, 2022, 09:34:06 AM

If you're watching/listening to Tratro....you just need a bigger hammer!

:hyst:

To funny, old school