March 28, 2024, 09:39:02 PM

News:

Rushmore bagger Race Tech conversion

Started by guydoc77, May 05, 2022, 08:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guydoc77

Bike is a 2015 Road Glide Special.
Last week I did the Race Tech Suspension fork mod.
I thought some might be interested in the specific settings I went with.

Used Race Tech replacement fork springs, 1.3 kg (I weigh 240ish).
I set fork spring preload at 31 mm.
I used the yellow (64lb) Emulator preload springs and set them at 3 1/8 turns of preload.
The Emulators came with three holes with a provision to drill a fourth as well as plates that can be installed to seal off one of the pre-existing three holes. I didn't use the plates and, as stated, went with the already present three holes.
I have a supply of Maxima 15 weight fork oil and set the oil level at 158 mm. Race Tech recommended 165 mm.

The front end sits noticeably higher now, which I like. This increased ride height could be reduced by reducing fork spring preload. I like it as is though as I have noticeably more clearance for cornering.
The ride is much better. The small bumps are much less noticeable and the brake dive is reduced considerably as well. I would consider drilling out the fourth hole in the emulator, maybe, but that would be mostly for experimentation.
I should add that, when new, I quickly ditched the rough riding 12" "Premium" HD shocks and have Revo As on the bike. I did two more turns of preload on them after doing the forks in order to raise the ass end somewhat. Ride is improved with that adjustment and the ass end sits slightly higher now also. Again, I like the increased ride height for cornering clearance.

Lastly, as an aside, I should add that I was able to remove/install the forks without removing the nacelle or fascia. The EZ Red stubby hex bit set makes this possible. And yes, I was meticulous about setting the fork height in the triple tree.

I highly recommend this conversion.
I had done it on my '08 FLTR and was pleased as well.
I can say with confidence now that the Race Tech stuff works very well in the new 49 mm fork bikes as well.

Guy