April 24, 2024, 05:00:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

6 speed replacement

Started by tbird, May 07, 2022, 01:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

First off I'm a dumb ass. Earlier this spring I needed to change the inner primary race. It had walked in and I couldn't get a puller behind it. Watched a couple  of videos on it where you loosen the nut on the main shaft and drive it over for clearance for the puller. Couldn't get enough. I put a small dead blow hammer against the main shaft and hit it with a bigger dead blow hammer. I hit it hard many times. My buddy a truck mechanic watched me and I asked am I hurting anything, he said no. Well weather finally warmed up. At 200 miles when I really horsed on it to keep up with some big boys my speedo went dead. In the search engine here  a guy mentioned bad tranny bearing. I pulled the plug after only 200 miles and their are metal shavings on the plug. What are my options? Used? New? 07-08 are the same, will other years fit? I think this is over my head.

rigidthumper

More common than you'd think on 2006-2013 six speeds.  Usually, it's just the main drive gear bearing. Available from the dealer, not too expensive. I'd pull the cartridge and inspect everything, but chances are a few new bearings/seals/couple gaskets, and you'll be fine.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

les

As you demonstrated, the method of beating on the mainshaft from the trap door side don't always work so well.  I never do that and use a different method.  Here it is for your records.

1.  Remove the transmission belt pulley.
2.  Wrap a piece of tape around the race, evenly, at the half length area.
3.  Take a depth measurement of the race thickness with a set of vernier calipers.
4.  Use a small cut off tool to grind 2 slots 180 degrees apart, using tape as a guide.
5.  Make cuts about half the thickness of the race (repeat caliper measurements as necessary).
6.  Install a clamshell puller on the slots and secure the bridge to it using 2 long bolts and THICK washers.
7.  Pull the race out far enough to get the race puller horseshoe behind the race.
8.  Use the race puller to pull the race the rest of the way off.

les

Here's a picture of the tools (ignore the bearing and the seal).

Thermodyne

When you hammer on the end of the input shaft like that, the rear trapdoor bearing is what you are actually beating on.  And they won't stand for much of that.

I would pull the gear cassette and inspect the unit.  Chances are a good clean out and a new bearing set will have you back on the road.