Starting a 1980 FLH that has sat for a while

Started by flhs90, May 07, 2022, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

OK Shovels,
On a 1980 FLH shovel that has sat in a garage 15 years or more but is in original paint unmolested condition do I chance starting it up after changing all the fluids, carb clean. new battery, fresh gas? Or will I need to pull motor and inspect. Old oil turning to acid ruining the crank cam bearings, races, etc.? I don't need to cut corners as it will be a project.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

Ohio HD

It's a choice as to pull it all apart or not. Before I did anything I'd change oils and start it. See what's what. If the bike wasn't exposed to heavy condensation during storage it may be fine internally.

But if it's a project, take it all apart and see what you have.

flhs90

Ohio, thank you, this is my first barn find. At my age 65 I just want more fun. Will post up some pics when I get it home. Hoping after a couple of fresh oil changes it won't grenade on me.

turboprop

Changing oils prior to first start is not enough. The oil tank must be flushed and clean out. So should all of the oil lines. Some very light oil should be put into each of the cylinders through the spark plug holes. I am talking about a couple cups of oil in each hole. Wait a couple weeks for the oil to seep past the rings and lube thee cylinders, pistons and rings. You could even rotate the engine until one of the pistons is at the bottom and then fill that hole with oil. When it drains past the rings, do the other cylinder the same way.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flhs90

Turboprop, would Marvey Mystery work as a Light oil or something better sold by the quart? And thank u.

kd

May 07, 2022, 05:28:52 PM #5 Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:36:54 PM by kd
Was the garage it sat in heated with any climate control?  If it was anywhere in the north where the temp shifts from warm to freeing there will be condensation and over 15 years of sitting without at least cranking it over you can count on the rollers marking the crank pin and mains. That is from experience not guessing.  The 80 has Timkin left side bearings. A way to get an idea is to pull the compensator and slip the outer Timkin cone (roller) out and see what the cup (race) and rollers look like.  That won't mean the crank pin is OK but it will give you a hint at possible damage. 

If the rings have been sitting in the same place all that tine under non favorable climate the condensation will effect the rings, piston ring grooves and cylinders.  If you have or can get an endoscope you can take the pistons to BDC and scan them for marks.  You wont see the rings but marked cylinder walls ups the possibility of mung in the rings and grooves.

IMO turboprop has given some good advice if you are prepared to give it a shot starting it.  You notice his suggestion starts with a capitol P for Patience.  FLHS90's question about Marvel mystery oil is a good one and IMO a good suggestion too.  If after a while you can crank it with MMO in the oil tank and let it sit the MMO will feed to the bottom end bearings and hopefully be beneficial there too.

If this bike is as minty as you say it will be well worth it to take the time to do do it the best way possible before hitting it with fuel and spark.  You'll have lots of little things to do in the mean time anyway.

KD

turboprop

Quote from: flhs90 on May 07, 2022, 04:41:58 PMTurboprop, would Marvey Mystery work as a Light oil or something better sold by the quart? And thank u.

Lots of opinions and debates on this as it relates to oil. I would use MMO, but would shut it down once the heavy smoking stopped to drain the oil again. Contrary to what most peaple have read online and continue t repeat, I would use synthetic oil for the first couple of oil changes as its high level of detergent will be critical to clearing the various internal passages and just cleaning things up in general. You can fix the weak seals and gadgets as they identify themselves.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

Quote from: turboprop on May 08, 2022, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: flhs90 on May 07, 2022, 04:41:58 PMTurboprop, would Marvey Mystery work as a Light oil or something better sold by the quart? And thank u.

Lots of opinions and debates on this as it relates to oil. I would use MMO, but would shut it down once the heavy smoking stopped to drain the oil again. Contrary to what most peaple have read online and continue t repeat, I would use synthetic oil for the first couple of oil changes as its high level of detergent will be critical to clearing the various internal passages and just cleaning things up in general. You can fix the weak seals and gadgets as they identify themselves.

More good advice from turboprop.  One other good property of a good synthetic oil is the way it migrates toward heat and not away from it like dino oil does.  MMO will work well in this type of running at breaking down tar type deposits.  Warm it up and let it sit.  Repeat a few times and rinse with fresh oil and MMO supplement for a repeat performance.
KD

flhs90

OK after fearing the worst some communication with the owner/seller the bike has not been sitting without being started. Last started 2 years ago.
Stored inside, sheetrocked and insulated garage. He rode it to some shows here and there. Your tech tips in resurrecting this FLH are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Quote from: flhs90 on May 09, 2022, 01:22:29 PMOK after fearing the worst some communication with the owner/seller the bike has not been sitting without being started. Last started 2 years ago.
Stored inside, sheetrocked and insulated garage. He rode it to some shows here and there. Your tech tips in resurrecting this FLH are very much appreciated. Thanks.

That's VERY good news. Not saying there won't be some natural old age issues like hardened seals etc. but a much better outlook with that little rid bit.  If the price isn't insane and it was me, I'd slip the guy at least a down payment and a handshake before the word gats out and a bidding war starts.  Where did you say you found it?  :smiled:
KD

david lee

as it was running 2 yrs ago id drain and change oil get it going give it a run then change the oil again this time with new filter.after 2 yrs the oil has most likely sumped. if theres gas in the tanks it will need changing and the carb jets will be blocked unless the carb was drained before storage. make sure brakes are working

76shuvlinoff

Make sure the clutch is releasing before you stomp it into gear or at least have it pointed in a safe direction when you do.   I learned this the hard way. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

flhs90

The title had 2 digits in production run numbers reversed since 1980.
We had to file Vin Correction Form.
Needed police to confirm error and submit. Title now has sequence correct.

flhs90

It took a lot of patience but worth the wait. Thank you Hoss.

Hossamania

That is sweet machine. Congratulations!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

flhs90

A big thank you to you Shovelheads. Better pics when I get home.

david lee

must have been covered up while in storage .looks great. what did it cost ?

flhs90

JW113

Wow. If it is as good as it looks in the pics, a VERY good price.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: flhs90 on May 17, 2022, 05:18:45 PMWould u think $5K a fair price?
absolute bargain.especially here in australia

flhs90

Shovels, just a part of HD I wanted to learn more about and blue loctite of course. Planning on using a Deka Sealed battery if anyone has suggestion let me know, flush and clean oil tank, let engine puke rhe crankcase oil, soak light oil in spark plug holes, new filter and s what gives. All comments and tech help terrific. Thank all.

Finn

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Fugawee

I bought a leftover new 1980 FLH in the Late Spring of 1981.  It was Cream Color with a Brown Saddle.  It cost Me $3800.00 at the time.  I didn't eat for weeks after that.  Had money for gas though.

flhs90

Quote from: Fugawee on May 19, 2022, 10:35:21 AMI bought a leftover new 1980 FLH in the Late Spring of 1981.  It was Cream Color with a Brown Saddle.  It cost Me $3800.00 at the time.  I didn't eat for weeks after that.  Had money for gas though.

Fugawee,
Great info. Hope you put some smiles on your face with that one. I looked fo a long time to find one in this condition. Look forward to waking it up.