April 23, 2024, 08:34:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starting a 1980 FLH that has sat for a while

Started by flhs90, May 07, 2022, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Hoss wanted a few pics. :wwp:
Actually hope this prep helps someone else down the road. It does require patience.
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

Hossamania

It wasn't that clean from the factory!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

fbn ent

I would have been riding it long ago... :bike:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

flhs90

Mixing up the flushing oil cocktail since this is what I have. It is going 2 be dumped with zero miles.
Old hog needs a good drink. :beer:

flhs90

flhs90

kd

May 30, 2022, 11:28:36 AM #56 Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 03:23:59 PM by kd
While you have the derby cover off, place the transmission in neutral, pull the clutch in then strap it tight to the bars.  Next with a gloved hand grasp the pressure plate hat and see if it will spin freely.  That will tell you if the plates are free or stuck.  If they are free you can put it in gear and with the rear wheel off the ground or table and while holding the rear wheel with the brake crank the engine on the starter.  The engine should turn over effortlessly. 
KD

flhs90

May 30, 2022, 03:20:47 PM #57 Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:43:47 PM by Coyote
Tanks off. Now to clean them.
Not sure if anyone has seen the black painted coal shovel rocker covers. Sides aluminum. Mystery.
AMF Moco, or Indy back in the day?

You cannot see attachments on this board.

fbn ent

Um....I can't see what you are talking about. Rocker covers are polished aluminum.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

flhs90

Tappet blocks r black like cylinders but the top of the rocket covers/boxes  coal black paint by somebody.

flhs90

May 30, 2022, 04:54:57 PM #61 Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:29:10 PM by flhs90
I think it looks like I will be using the large washer trick 2 keep the clutch plate springs compressed and pull the pressure plate. Carefully remove steels and fiber disks and clean with cleaner. Reassemble and adjust. Back to tanks and carb r and r. Lots to learn. :hug
Update t o above, think the atf to bottom of basket lubed or cleaned disks not bike is in neutral and can spin disks freely. Hooking jumper and switch back to spin motor as cocktail in oil tank.

kd

If you pull the discs, get a 12" ish square sheet of glass plate and tape a sheet of 400 grit to it.  Do figure 8's with the fibers not so much to remove material but to break any glaze (shiny spots)  that they may have.  Use some light varsol or thinner to wet sand and change the paper if it stops working well.  Rinse well with thinners and let them dry.  Lube lightly with some atf and reinstall.
KD

flhs90

Things r looking up. Motor spins freely now that clutch is lubed with ATF. Patience is on my side.  :up:

flhs90

May 30, 2022, 06:53:27 PM #64 Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 12:59:50 PM by kd
Quote from: kd on May 30, 2022, 05:52:02 PMIf you pull the discs, get a 12" ish square sheet of glass plate and tape a sheet of 400 grit to it.  Do figure 8's with the fibers not so much to remove material but to break any glaze (shiny spots)  that they may have.  Use some light varsol or thinner to wet sand and change the paper if it stops working well.  Rinse well with thinners and let them dry.  Lube lightly with some atf and reinstall.

Appreciate learning that Kirk. :up:
For now very happy w progress on my '80 Flh.

flhs90

Pulled battery box to clean it behind it. Minimal rust on back of tray.
Will Ospho and touch up with Rustoleum Black and rust preventative primer. One
spot about 2 inches x 1/2 to touch up as well. Carb ready to reassemble
Main jet .064  Intermediate .295
Minor rust in low spots of fat bobs going to splash some apple cider vinegar mild acid and perhaps 5'6 small nuts to agitate those ares. KD suggested Marine Fuel treatment found some to add to non ethical fuel.
U all are awesome.

76shuvlinoff

Quote.Pulled speedo had tape below speed nut to keep from running down the cable to no man's land.

I always slip a zip tie in there before pulling the speedo for the same reason.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

flhs90

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 01, 2022, 05:53:16 PM
Quote.Pulled speedo had tape below speed nut to keep from running down the cable to no man's land.

I always slip a zip tie in there before pulling the speedo for the same reason.

Fugawee tipped me off. Thanks 76.

flhs90

OK here's to Turboprp, KD, Fugaewee, Ohio, Hoss and those I missed. Some Marvel came out the dresser headers so slipped the drag pipes on. Local indy had a .068 Main Jet so bumped the .064 to the bench. Used Fugawee funnel of gas hung from right mirror. Took carb/throttle body cleaner in the holes. Pulled a plug saw spark. She barked, next push of the starter she purrs. Sounds terrific. Thanks all.
Pulled buddy seat spring post put Corbin in place. U guys rock.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Glad to hear she purrs. That old girl is gorgeous and is going to be a lot fun to ride. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Fugawee

Hallelujah!  Congratulations!  I'll bet there was a smile beyond ear to ear when You woke the Bike up.  That's always a great feeling.  Don't forget to give it a big Kiss and Pat Yourself on the back.
Now get back to work...

flhs90

Shovelers,
To all who helped, I have not been slacking. With the handlebars turned I can start addressing the front master cylinder. Removed tires, Fugawee suggested doing a 2 for 1 while on the table lift. It saved the old back.
Indy wants me clean inside of muck off rims the Monday new Dunflops and tubes.
With wife's help we pulled rear chain cover, and wrestled rear brake disk and wheel out of caliper, more fun. Front axle was at a stressed angle with porch bolts loosened 2 much, lol.
Steady progress found intake manifold o rings to be shot as missing a full circle of the o-ring.
It was a puzzle to start. Have 68 maim, 295 intermediate. No enrichener seems like 3 twists of throttle to fire off and run. Help appreciated.

76shuvlinoff

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

flhs90

OK big thank you to all that responded with help. Final service to do is fix an oil leak from bottom of gear case /cam chest cover. It drips the size of a dime each time I run it on lift with 2 fans for 1-2 minutes. Puddle grows longer bike sits each time I wipe up puddle, lol. Carb accelerator pump screw was not enough turns out. Main jet now a 68, carb was filthy gummy.
Tan Something like 1 & 1/2.oved it out to 3 &1/2. Air mixture at 2 turns out. Starts first time every time with no choke/enrichener. Brake pads r now new front and rear banana cleaned, flushed and new  Belray Dot 5 Purple. Old fluid was yellow and dirty, old pads about 50% worn. New Dunflops, wheel bearings and swimgarm greased. Fugawee suggested removing fear drop out and shifting thru all gears, ATF in gearbox thanks 2 Turboprop. With grandkids, family, I got hung up so was not slacking, hit it hard whenever I could. Felt all who helped should get an update on the Classic 80 Shovel. Put marine grade Stabil in tanks. Plates from DMV now on as of yesterday. Hope to start on oil leak today if indy has what I need.