April 20, 2024, 07:08:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

turn/signals

Started by roadkingdresser, May 08, 2022, 07:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadkingdresser

2012 fatbob let side has turn signal,right side has turn and parking light. Is this normal or did someone change the switch assembly?
roadkingdresser

Fugawee

I can't speak for all Bikes, but on Mine the T/S, and Running Lights only illuminate in the front.  The T/S's only illuminate on the rear.  I would start by checking the left front bulb to make sure it is the correct one installed, or maybe a bad bulb.  Try flip-flopping the right side with the left and see if the problem follows.  That should tell You something about the bulb if it is in fact bad.  Other than that, check the sockets that the bulb goes in.

roadkingdresser

well I know now that the bulb on the right side is double contact and all the rest are single contact. So i'm guessing some one has changed the one on the left.So now the question is will a double t/signal/park plug into the switch and work or did they change the switch assembly and put the wrong one on? I'm saying they changed the switch assembly on the left since since it's parking only. Thanks.
roadkingdresser

kd

Quote from: roadkingdresser on May 08, 2022, 08:44:24 AMwell I know now that the bulb on the right side is double contact and all the rest are single contact. So i'm guessing some one has changed the one on the right.So now the question is will a single contact t/signal plug into the switch and work or did they change the switch assembly and put the wrong one on?

When you had the bulbs out did you check to see if it / they had single or double pigtails in the socket?  That will determine the type of bulb you use.  What does your manual say the correct bulb is?
KD

roadkingdresser

It's not my bike a buddy bought it used from someone, lust trying to help him out. He bought a new t/s/p bulb assembly for it with a 3 ft. cord no plug.
roadkingdresser

Fugawee

I would think that if You put the correct dual filament bulb in the left side front it should fit, and work.  Again...put the right-side bulb in the left and see if it fits/works.

kd

Quote from: roadkingdresser on May 08, 2022, 08:51:13 AMIt's not my bike a buddy bought it used from someone, lust trying to help him out. He bought a new t/s/p bulb assembly for it with a 3 ft. cord no plug.

Ahhh, more information.  Did he do the things I just mentioned to ensure he was replacing everything with the same pigtails and capability?  Maybe he caused his problem by installing non compatible parts.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: roadkingdresser on May 08, 2022, 08:51:13 AMIt's not my bike a buddy bought it used from someone, lust trying to help him out. He bought a new t/s/p bulb assembly for it with a 3 ft. cord no plug.

Did he try swapping bulbs first, determine that the bulb assembly had been changed, or just buy the assembly without troubleshooting?

Kd beat me to it with his post.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

roadkingdresser

Let me explain real slow-the left front turn siganal has single post bulb,the light fixture has one post in the middle. The right side has a double post bulb with a dual post in the light. Fugawee noted that his has dual filaments on both sides-front parking light/turn signal. The rear are turn only. I know i'm old but not stupid.I didn't change nothing yet. The bulbs will not interchange.The harley shop must of given him a rear light.
roadkingdresser

fbn ent

Don't know where it came from but the single filament is wrong.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Hossamania

Quote from: fbn ent on May 08, 2022, 03:39:42 PMDon't know where it came from but the single filament is wrong.

Correct, the single bulbount is wrong, it should be dual on both front bulbs.

roadkingdresser

Yes I relize that. What im wandering is will the right light with the plug work on the control in the housing. ronnies doesn't show the light exept for an international bike and it looks like you have to buy the control assembly.
roadkingdresser

Rusticwater

The MOCO introduced Canbus to the Dyna family for the 2012 model year. The new electrical system is based around a BCM instead of a standard hard wired electrical harness. The handlebar switch assemblies communicate via Canbus to the BCM, then the BCM actuates the various lights as needed.

So all this talk about which switch assemblies work with the light is pointless because the switch assemblies communicate to the BCM...it's the BCM that directly controls the light. Sounds like somebody wired up the wrong left front socket and didn't connect all the wires. Suggest you refer to a 2012 Dyna wiring diagram, either from the library here or the Harley SIP.
Support the Maine lobster industry

Hossamania

It has nothing to do with the switch being changed, it still operates the turn signal, so that part works. It seems the bulb assembly was changed for some reason, the parking/running light never hooked back up. The wire for the parking light is hanging somewhere in the area, or should be.
Start taking it apart and the problem should be easy to find, hopefully.
What Rusticwater said.

roadkingdresser

Iknow what your saying,BUT its a single pole light not a double so theres no wire that isn't hooked up.IT HAS A CAN BUS END PLUGGED INTO THE MODULE. I'll be taking it apart in the morning and make a phone call,i'll let you know what i find. thanks
roadkingdresser

Hossamania

May 08, 2022, 05:51:09 PM #15 Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 05:55:20 PM by Hossamania
I think I'm finally grasping the issue regarding interconnect with the canbus, never had to deal with it myself so was thinking along the lines of traditional switch wiring.
Good luck, looking forward to hearing what you find out.

smoserx1

Just looked that bulb  up on Ronnies.  PN  68168-89A and is the same one used by my old 99 FLHT.  Very similar to the common 1157 bulb which is the two contact  type.  Now if one of the front turn signals has a single contact bulb it means that the socket in the housing has been changed because the dual contact base bulbs and single base contact bulbs won't interchange.  The dual contact bulbs have offset pins that allow installation only one way....to insure the proper fillament operates off the proper circuit (turn signal (bright) or running (dim).  The single contact (and fillament) bulb like an 1156 bulb and similar to used on the rear has two pins on the base that are not offset.  Have I read this thread correctly???

kd

We are right back where we started from.  The new lamp assembly is wrong and one wire is either not tied in or unbelievably, joined to the other power lead by someone that shouldn't be playing with electricity.  If the socket only can be changed you are good to go.  They are usually available from automotive jobbers, an automotive dual lamp signal and tail lamp assembly (or a junk car).  What you have going on is as everyone else has pointed out, wrong.  Did you look in the factory service manual wiring diagram yet or is the problem you don't have one?
KD

Coyote

QuoteDid you look in the factory service manual wiring diagram yet or is the problem you don't have one?

Pretty sure no one in this thread has which is the problem.  Been too busy this weekend to look myself but that is where the answer lies.

kd

May 08, 2022, 08:06:12 PM #19 Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:13:55 PM by kd
Quote from: Coyote on May 08, 2022, 07:40:39 PM
QuoteDid you look in the factory service manual wiring diagram yet or is the problem you don't have one?

Pretty sure no one in this thread has which is the problem.  Been too busy this weekend to look myself but that is where the answer lies.

Kinda why the questions were asked (but not answered).  I can get that if the OP didn't actually see the lamps and was getting his description from someone that was obviously to confused to understand the questions. 

I checked the wiring diagrams in the document section here and it's definitely a double bulb with 3 wires.  One black (ground) and two power  - (violet = turn and Blue = running light).  I can see how someone that can't read a diagram could mistake the power leads as going to one post if they don't take the time to trace where they come from.  The leads are named on the diagram.  That's what I meant by working on electricity.  I would bet there's good odds the violet and blue wires are twisted together and the 2 wire socket light was intentional.  By who, it doesn't matter but it sure is wrong.  The switch has nothing to do with the problem (as I understand it).  I don't know why or how the switch came into it.
KD

Ohio HD

Yep, that's what I see.

rigidthumper

Looks like that part may still be available (not cheap, tho)
72943-12A is the left hand control module with integrated chrome turn signal/running light.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

Cowabunga! Not cheep!   

Hossamania

If blue and violet wires were twisted together, the turn signal would always be on, no flash when the button was pushed.
Ohio's diagram shows the answer.
Part of the confusion is why is the wrong bulb socket installed in the first place, but at least that seems to have been identified. Once disassembly starts, things should clear up.

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 08, 2022, 08:24:20 PMLooks like that part may still be available (not cheap, tho)
72943-12A is the left hand control module with integrated chrome turn signal/running light.

I don't think the switch is the problem.

The easiest way to solve the problem is to install a bulb on the right side that has the running light filament burned out so that neither side has run/parking light, just turn signal, then they are both the same. That's how I used to run my old Evo Heritage, it always burned out one filament from vibration, so I just installed one of the burned bulbs on the other side.

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 08, 2022, 08:29:04 PMCowabunga! Not cheep!   

No, no, no, the turn signal works! It's the running light that's the problem!  :wink:

Ohio HD

May 08, 2022, 08:43:37 PM #24 Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 08:57:52 PM by Ohio HD
Quote from: Hossamania on May 08, 2022, 08:36:02 PMIf blue and violet wires were twisted together, the turn signal would always be on, no flash when the button was pushed.
Ohio's diagram shows the answer.
Part of the confusion is why is the wrong bulb socket installed in the first place, but at least that seems to have been identified. Once disassembly starts, things should clear up.

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 08, 2022, 08:24:20 PMLooks like that part may still be available (not cheap, tho)

I don't think the switch is the problem.

The easiest way to solve the problem is to install a bulb on the right side that has the running light filament burned out so that neither side has run/parking light, just turn signal, then they are both the same. That's how I used to run my old Evo Heritage, it always burned out one filament from vibration, so I just installed one of the burned bulbs on the other side.

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 08, 2022, 08:29:04 PMCowabunga! Not cheep!   

No, no, no, the turn signal works! It's the running light that's the problem!  :wink:

Still could be the module. I doubt the guy that owns the bike knows what he sees. Otherwise why call someone else?