May 06, 2024, 09:13:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What should I see on a dyno with this build?

Started by Jim Bronson, May 03, 2022, 04:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Bike is a 2013 fxdc with the following mods:

S&S Sidewinder 110 cylinders and piston kit, 10.5:1.
S&S 585 cams.
S&S Air cleaner
Vance and Hines Pro Pipe
Stock ported heads
Tuned with PV

The parts will be here next week, and we will get started. I was wondering what numbers I can expect on the dyno.

Thanks.

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

FXDBI

Look in the dyno section several 110 builds with 585 cam  Bob

harpwrench

GMR did several 110/585 kits with stock heads but his sheets are gone, the best way to get to them is to go to the photos on his Facebook page

Jim Bronson

Thanks. I did search dyno results before posting, but I couldn't find anything close to my build.

Coyote

There was 9 110s before I got to the end of the first page of search results on 585.  :nix:

FXDBI

May 03, 2022, 08:00:38 PM #5 Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:09:24 PM by FXDBI Reason: more info
Stock heads and T/B good exhaust engine set @ 10.7 static and a good tune the sheets that USE to be in the dyno section 105-110 HP 120TQ. Headwork and bigger TB will increase both numbers.   Bob

These were all Alpha builds has well .

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Coyote on May 03, 2022, 07:29:01 PMThere was 9 110s before I got to the end of the first page of search results on 585.  :nix:
Yes lots of 110s with 585s but none with my specific setup. Most use different exhausts and/or different intakes; some use different tuners, larger throttle bodies, and high flow injectors. Perhaps there isn't much variation based on specific manufacturers, so they aren't emphasized. Also, the dyno sheet text is often so blurry it is difficult to read after a while. I was just curious if someone had numbers for my exact setup. I'll know in a few weeks. If it feels good, I may just get it tested but not dyno tuned. In my recent experience, the PV Auto-tune does a pretty good job even with wideband O2 sensors.

kd

high flow injectors. Perhaps there isn't much variation based on specific manufacturers, so they aren't emphasized. Also, the dyno sheet text is often so blurry it is difficult to read after a while. I was just curious if someone had numbers for my exact setup. I'll know in a few weeks. If it feels good, I may just get it tested but not dyno tuned. In my recent experience, the PV Auto-tune does a pretty good job even with wideband O2 sensors.
[/quote]

No offence intended but why would you look at dyno tune numbers if you are OK with "a pretty good Job" with auto tune?  Providing you have access to a good tuner experienced with the PV (you seem to already have), it won't be the same outcome. Break in with the new 110 bolt on cylinders is critical to longevity.  Probably can't beat the break in on a dyno for safe either.
KD

JSD

My mate got 118hp "121 tq with that combination stock TB bore to 52? And bigger injectors TBrothers pipe

Jim Bronson

Thanks JSD. That's what I was looking for.

harpwrench

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,97475.0.html

This one shows basically what it looks like with stock heads and a pro dyno tune, most of GMR's had pretty much the same curve. Numbers aren't going to be as high with a street tune

CVOThunder

Subbed. I am thinking about doing the same with my 2007 FXSTC, V&H Pro pipe as well. Was just going to go with the SE kit but I should consider what S&S has to offer as well. Several good head porting options, not sure who to go with. Not sure if the stock TB and plenum would give me enough air, doubtful to get 118hp/121tq. Injectors for a cable bike seem to need 4.9 or 5.3. At least 20 months out on a build so time to look at options.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

Jim Bronson

Mine is going together tomorrow. I just need to decide whether to have the builder send the heads out to be ported or have him just do a cleanup. He has done heads many times, but he recently set up a new shop and isn't ready to do full porting and flow testing yet. Decisions, decisions....

rigidthumper

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 10, 2022, 04:17:47 PMMine is going together tomorrow. I just need to decide whether to have the builder send the heads out to be ported or have him just do a cleanup. He has done heads many times, but he recently set up a new shop and isn't ready to do full porting and flow testing yet. Decisions, decisions....
I have personally seen the CNC ported heads from WFO Larry, or HDSP, when added with the 110 drop on kit, add 8-10 horsepower over stock headed kits. Worth the price of admission, to me.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Buglet

If you plan on using an extra 8 to 10 HP most of the time then it's worth porting the heads.

98fxstc

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 10, 2022, 08:25:26 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 10, 2022, 04:17:47 PMMine is going together tomorrow. I just need to decide whether to have the builder send the heads out to be ported or have him just do a cleanup. He has done heads many times, but he recently set up a new shop and isn't ready to do full porting and flow testing yet. Decisions, decisions....
I have personally seen the CNC ported heads from WFO Larry, or HDSP, when added with the 110 drop on kit, add 8-10 horsepower over stock headed kits. Worth the price of admission, to me.

x2
I assumed from the title of the thread you were interested in numbers and bang for your buck.
Larry and Don know their stuff. Why do half a job ?

Hossamania

The original post was asking for expected Dyno numbers with that set up, it also mentions stock ported heads. Without knowing what is being done with the heads, there is no sure way to project expected numbers.
I would think 1 horse per cube can be done with good heads, with an extra 10% torque on top of that number.
If only street tuned without going on a Dyno, there will be no way to know.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harpwrench

I missed the "ported" part in the original post somehow  :kick: 

The 585's can work great if they cooperate with the head porting and pipe, it's best to work with a porter who has a proven combo with them. I personally lost 10hp in my 103 going from 570's to 585's, it's all about the combo

Don D

I have OEM 103 CNC heads on the shelf, just need CCing and assembly. This combo has been done many times with HP from the high teens to the high 120s depending on the pipe and tune A or B motor original or larger TB.