March 29, 2024, 04:51:20 AM

News:

Swingarm damage at rear wheel

Started by Skooterbumm, May 09, 2022, 10:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skooterbumm

I have a 1980 FXWG and the swingarm is damaged kinda bad on the sprocket side where that spacer rides against it. Im assuming its been over tightened. Is there a way to repair this damage? Both sides are squeezed in some, but left side is the worst. Thanks for any input offered. 

fbn ent

I have seen heavy washers with large ID welded flush with the spacer to spread out the pressure.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

kd

Clean the axle slot areas up real well and do a good inspection looking for cracks.  The early swing arms were known to have cracking issues there.  Many have welded them with good results and continued to beat on them. Someone may chime in with pics.  His initials are Hoss.  :teeth:
KD

Hossamania

I've run with a welded swingarm for almost 20 years, no issues, other than a really ugly weld job using wrought iron (ya gotta use what ya got).
There was a company that used to sell lollipops that could be inserted into the swingarm to add some bracing, haven't looked them up in years.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FSG

Skooterbumm

Ill try and get a pic of the damaged area. I took it off the bike to make repair easier 

Skooterbumm

May 10, 2022, 06:52:30 AM #7 Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 07:08:59 AM by Coyote
here we go. Figured out how to post a photo finally

You cannot see attachments on this board.

JW113

Zap some MIG on it, grind it smooth, good to go. Those swing arm inserts are a great idea, too.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Skooterbumm

May 10, 2022, 01:21:01 PM #9 Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 01:51:54 PM by FSG
Quote from: JW113 on May 10, 2022, 12:39:18 PMZap some MIG on it, grind it smooth, good to go. Those swing arm inserts are a great idea, too.

-JW

I already got a set of the inserts. Thats when i realized how much the swingarm was smashed

76shuvlinoff

50 ft lbs didn't do that.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

xlfan

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on May 10, 2022, 06:13:33 PM50 ft lbs didn't do that.

But a 3 feet breaker bar and some seroius biceps does it easy  :crook: