April 24, 2024, 03:15:42 PM

News:

Dyna Windshield Suggestions

Started by Jim Bronson, May 09, 2022, 03:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

Has anyone had success in using one that causes minimal buffeting on the highway?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Sinker

I tried one on an old Softail Standard and it buffeted so hard it would blow my sunglasses off. I switched to a full face helmet instead.

calif phil

Harley detachable windshields are very good, if smaller is OK I like the Windvest handlebar mounted windshields.  They look great and are very high quality.

Jim Bronson

Thanks guys. It was a common complaint on earlier Dynas. I could never get one to work properly on my 2005 Lowrider, so I finally gave up. I was hoping there were better ones these days that would work better on trips. I already wear a FF helmet, so I guess I'll just forget about windshields. The biggest advantage this time of year is that they deflect bugs so they don't stick to the shield.

Breeze

I have a Dyna "convertable" windshield on my FXDC. Not real attractive, and no longer available from the moco. It curves to the bottom of the tank and that reduces a lot of the buffeting from below. It compares to a batwing for still air pocket. Maybe some aftermarket brand makes something similar.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

guido4198

Jim,
I received and installed a Windvest on my FXRS on the day I took off from Central Nebraska, heading for Dayona Bikeweek 2000.The Windvest is secured onto the handlebars with their proprietary bracket. What I really liked was that I'd only have to remove two allen head screws to take the windshield off for riding 'round town, and easily reinstall it for road trips. That was the plan. No time to do any test rides, just screwed it on and took off. I was riding straight into a solid wind coming up from the South, and for the first couple hundred miles I wasn't so sure that I'd made a good choice. At that point in my life, I had been riding for 27 yrs without any kind of windshield so this was a new experience. I was wearing a "Beanie" helmet and glasses. As the miles went by, I began to notice NO BUGS. Nothing was hitting me in the face, no feeling of buffetting wind gusts slamming me in the chest. Much more relaxed experience whether I was riding through town, or running 90 mph down the Interstate. Before I got back to my home in Central Nebraska from that roadtrip I had run 4,000 mi. The Windvest has remained on the bike 100% of the time ever since. Note: Windvest is a "look over" windscreen...you don't look through it. 
Hope this helps. 

twincamzz

I use a Clearview windshield on my 2013 Dyna Switchback.  I really like the upper recurve and the extra 2.5 inches of width on the GT model as IMHO these features make buffeting a non-issue You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.for me. YMMV
not all who wander are lost...

bump

I rode my shovelhead about 10 years bare. Put a windshield on about 85. Had to replace the shield 2 or 3 times, a piece of lexan from big box store and reworked mount so it fit around headlight better.

Jim Bronson

Several companies make shields with the re-curve at the top. Many reviews mention head buffeting as the biggest drawback. I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances.