April 23, 2024, 05:00:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

02 softail chipped starter ring gear.

Started by Crawler, May 09, 2022, 06:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawler

So long story short my primary was making a clunk. I drained the oil and noticed a bunch of metal chips. So I pulled the cover and had more chips laying in the bottom of the primary.  After checking every thing the main and trans shafts have no damage. I found the clunk was the compensator nut only being hand tight. After further looking all the teeth on the ring gear we're chipped. The starter gear looked good surprisingly.  So my main question is should I pull the inner primary and replace the bearings and seals. Along with new starter ring gear, clutch pack, and new compensator nut. The bike shifted and rode fine other than the clunk. Lastly can anyone recommend a starter ring gear that's better that stock. The bike is an 02 softail that's been big bored and has compression releases. I bought the bike this way so I'm not sure of how much motor work was done just that it has compression releases. Thanks in advance for the help.

JLockhart29

At that age with the damage no way I wouldn't replace every bearing and seal in there. I have an 04 FXST and when my 5th gear race walked I replaced it all. You may find when you get the inner off that one of your tranny seals is starting to go. Be a good time to so some preventive. Also Primo makes a ring for that. I believe it gears the starter down a little for more starting torque if I remember right.

Tacocaster

Good to hear you easily found your problem (loose Compensator Nut).

As for what to replace, I would replace what you offered - the obvious RG (riveted to the clutch hub, right?), as well the Clutch Pack (fibres only), Inner Primary seal and bearing but also I'd replace the Clutch Hub Bearing (37906-90) if not replacing the whole clutch hub and then I'd clean the living crap outta the P.chain and all the components (clutch Plates/diaphragm/hub, comp components, P.chain tensioner, Inner/Outer Primary, stator, rotor). Those loose metal fragments can/will get into everything including your wallet and 401K.

So, with no other obvious issues found, you're thinking the loose Comp Nut is what caused the RG destruction? Not second guessing you; just where it's a big bore with comp releases, there's always potential for starting issues when high compression ratio is not addressed. so there may have been previous owner damage to the RG before the releases were installed.

I'm actually surprised there's no additional damage at the Trans/Engine/Comp splines. Consider yourself luckier than me, Crawler.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Armin

Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Crawler

Tacocaster I think the ring gear was bad cause of the compression and may be bad contact between the ring and starter gear. I'm thinking the compensator was just a secondary problem. I thought for sure the main shaft splines would be toast but some how they are in perfect shape along with the trans/clutch basket splines. I was amazed. I plan to pull it all apart and replace all seals and bearings. I'm hoping to find a shop that can steam clean all my parts for reassembly. JLockhart29, Armin I'll look in to those options.

kd

It is more likely that the damage is from kick back during hot starts especially with a loose compensator.  The loose comp means the springs were not holding as they should and allowed it to happen worse.  If you ever remember trying to start it and it kicked back with a bang crash grind sound it is probably what caused the damage.
KD

Crawler

KD that makes sense. When I opened the primary I literally could spin the comp nut with my fingers. I don't think it was ever loctited in. So I was looking today at work and saw that primo has an 84 tooth an a 101 tooth. Is one option better over the other. I not home to count my ring teeth just wondering. If I have to buy one I want to get the best option.  Thanks for all the help everyone it's much appreciated.