April 23, 2024, 12:47:24 PM

News:

Clutch hub pulling

Started by xlfan, May 11, 2022, 06:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

What to do when heat and puller pulls 2 out of 5 studs out of hub?

Is cutting hub to pieces only option?

Reddog74usa

Get a three arm claw puller on it
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Ohio HD

I agree about the three jaw puller. Once under tension, if it doesn't move, try the heat again, the snug the puller down some more.

kd

Because you have already pulled 2 studs, I would retry on the remaining studs with the puller you have first. Leave the nut on the shaft and backed of about a half or full turn.  Use the exposed nut surface for the spindle on the puller.  You may need a small piece of steel so the threads on the top don't get damaged. This time don't overtighten the puller so it pulls those remaining studs.  Very tight and crack the spindle with a real sharp SOLID blow using a decent sized ballpein hammer.  Just remember you are not trying to drive the transmission shaft out the other side.  It's the vibration of the blow that loosens the grip in the hub. A good solid crack should do it.

If that doesn't work, plan B would be the 3 jaw puller.  Maintain using the nut just slightly backed off.  Crank the puller as tight as you can without it slipping off and take the heavy ballpein hammer with a SOLID hit to the puller spindle.  That should crack it loose. 
KD

xlfan

I ended up destroying the hub by tackwelding all 5 studs, but off it came.

The 3 stud try ended up bending off center. And my 3-jaw puller was an inch too short.

ThanksYou cannot see attachments on this board.

Ohio HD

JSD

Quote from: xlfan on May 11, 2022, 12:08:35 PMI ended up destroying the hub by tackwelding all 5 studs, but off it came.

The 3 stud try ended up bending off center. And my 3-jaw puller was an inch too short.

ThanksYou cannot see attachments on this board.
Whats the go with the Plug socket welded to clutch friction plate?

xlfan

A cracked plug socket reborn as part of a homemade clutch hub holder tool.

kd

Quote from: xlfan on May 11, 2022, 10:12:14 PMA cracked plug socket reborn as part of a homemade clutch hub holder tool.

xlfan, it's too bad you had to weld the studs.  They look pretty minty with no grooving.  Good use of a broken tool.  We used to just weld a length of 3/4" steel round stock to a plate like a handle that reached the floor as a stop deck.  Yours is more compact.
KD