April 18, 2024, 11:06:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Evolution Industries Bump Stop

Started by Ohio HD, May 13, 2022, 05:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I've read a few posts here where a few guys were going to try the Evolution Industries Bump Stop. Anyone tried it, and what is your experience with it?

The Bump Stop

hrdtail78

I think it's a better idea than any other replacement that is offered.
Semper Fi

Ohio HD

Seems to be, I just am curious who has tried them, and what they experienced.

Heinz

I installed one on my 2010 CVO Ultra Classic a few years ago. I've tried the Baker Attitude Adjuster among many others. I bought a new OEM automatic chain adjuster and then installed the Bump stop. It's an easy install once you know how to best do it. Only takes a few minutes. I measured about 5/8 to 3/4 inch slack cold. After a year of riding I finally had to grind off one notch to maintain the 5/8 to 3/4 inch chain slack. I like it much better than anything I've ever previously tried.

Ohio HD

Appreciate the feedback. I may try one on my Ultra, see how it goes. I just don't like to trust something that I may have to watch and see how it's working. Agree about the Baker, not worth installing.

jmorton10

The Baker is a POS. I bought one when I didn't have a stock one to install in my 124" 07 RK.  The thing badly bent the bracket after a few months.

Baker came out with the "armored" version to supposedly cure the problems with it & they sell an upgrade kit for the original model.  I bought & installed the kit. Not only did it bend again, it broke the upgrade piece in 2 pieces & the pieces fell into the bottom of the primary.

~John 
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Wookie3011

I put one in My 124 Build. Don't have any miles on it yet. I'll let you know how it does.

Wookie3011

September 04, 2022, 09:00:01 AM #7 Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 09:11:04 AM by Wookie3011
So here is one guy's experience with Evolution Industries Bump Stop. To date I have a little over 2k on the build. I started hearing knocking in the lower primary. It's all apart right now and at first I didn't notice anything. I zip tied the tensioner and when I went to pull it out the bump stop was in 2 pieces and a spring bolt on the diamond Terminator clutch pack had broken at the cup. When I opened it up I was fixated on the chain. So didn't automatically notice the broken bolt head. It wasn't until I went to pull out the clutch and ring gear as a unit that I heard something hit the lift and noticed the bolt head on my lift table. I found the cup. I Haven't had any luck removing the bolt in the center hub. Hopefully Evolution Industries will sell me just the center hub to thier clutch pack. What failed first? Did I just not notice the broken bolt or did it happen when I removed the locking nut from the center output shaft on the transmission? I don't know. I'm not going to use another bump stop and will rely on harleys auto tensioner. Did the bolt break and that take out the bump stop? More questions than answers. The 2 pieces  where captured by the bolt and auto tensioner. I had to remove the zip tie to get the 2nd piece out. The clutch spring bolt that sheared off was one I didn't install. It was dynoed and the red springs where added mixed with blue. Like I said alot of unknowns. I'm waiting on a wrench to use to turn the crank and figure out what if anything else is wrong with it. No metal in the oil so there is that. If I have to go to far with it I'm just going to send out the cylinders to rev and get started on the cam swap and call it a  season. Depends what I find. I ride my bikes hard. Would any if this happened if someone else owned this build?  Who knows. Just putting that out there.

klammer76

Quote from: Wookie3011 on September 04, 2022, 09:00:01 AMSo here is one guy's experience with Evolution Industries Bump Stop. To date I have a little over 2k on the build. I started hearing knocking in the lower primary. It's all apart right now and at first I didn't notice anything. I zip tied the tensioner and when I went to pull it out the bump stop was in 2 pieces and a spring bolt on the diamond Terminator clutch pack had broken at the cup. When I opened it up I was fixated on the chain. So didn't automatically notice the broken bolt head. It wasn't until I went to pull out the clutch and ring gear as a unit that I heard something hit the lift and noticed the bolt head on my lift table. I found the cup. I Haven't had any luck removing the bolt in the center hub. Hopefully Evolution Industries will sell me just the center hub to thier clutch pack. What failed first? Did I just not notice the broken bolt or did it happen when I removed the locking nut from the center output shaft on the transmission? I don't know. I'm not going to use another bump stop and will rely on harleys auto tensioner. Did the bolt break and that take out the bump stop? More questions than answers. The 2 pieces  where captured by the bolt and auto tensioner. I had to remove the zip tie to get the 2nd piece out. The clutch spring bolt that sheared off was one I didn't install. It was dynoed and the red springs where added mixed with blue. Like I said alot of unknowns. I'm waiting on a wrench to use to turn the crank and figure out what if anything else is wrong with it. No metal in the oil so there is that. If I have to go to far with it I'm just going to send out the cylinders to rev and get started on the cam swap and call it a  season. Depends what I find. I ride my bikes hard. Would any if this happened if someone else owned this build?  Who knows. Just putting that out there.

I have been very interested in the bump stop and have been trying to find a review on one. This is disappointing, looked to be a good piece but couldn't find any reviews. My auto tensioner just keeps the primary chain too tight in my opinion. Maybe the best answer is to tack weld the tensioner as some on here have done. Thanks for the info on the bump stop.

Wookie3011

I just want to emphasize again that I ride my bikes very hard. My experience is just one unit tried. I would like to see more users. As cheap as they are, after my upgrade this winter, I will purchase another and see what happens. I'd hate to kill the purchase of a product from a good company from one knuckle heads experience. Lots of variables. I'll post up my findings on round 2.