April 19, 2024, 07:58:17 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacing fuel injectors

Started by BigT, May 16, 2022, 09:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I just had an issue with the front cylinder fouling out plugs that looks to be unburnt gas/ rich condition.  I had installed new plugs over the winter and the plug wires seems to be fully engaged. The old plugs looked a tad rich but not that bad. The bike was properly tuned and had been running great. I was told it could be possibly a bad fuel injector. Is it possible to replace an injector without removing the manifold and throttle body from the bike? What else could cause one cylinder to go out of tune?

Don D

Just as a precaution before replacing anything I would pull a compression test.

BigT

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 16, 2022, 09:23:42 AMJust as a precaution before replacing anything I would pull a compression test.
I had thought about that. A recent cranking compression test had showed both cylinders at 225 with a RS552 cam but a leak down test would show an issue.

Don D

May 16, 2022, 09:50:28 AM #3 Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 09:59:45 AM by HD Street Performance
Oil getting into combustion will still pull decent numbers on both tests. Ring number 2 just not doing it's job or valve seals / guides. if the plugs smell of fuel that is a give away of other issues.

rigidthumper

Do you still have the plastic intake manifold?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tacocaster

Have you tried swapping plugs, cylinder for cylinder to see if trouble moves or even both swapped-out with a known good one(s)? You do state news plugs installed over the winter and it wouldn't be the first time one was bad.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

BigT

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 16, 2022, 10:32:35 AMDo you still have the plastic intake manifold?
No, it is a SE 64mm manifold ported by Ward.

hrdtail78

To the OQ.  Yes, pull tank and remove horn bracket.  Be careful of the clocking dawgs on the fuel manifold.  They are plastic and can break.  Pull straight up.
Semper Fi

BigT

Quote from: Tacocaster on May 16, 2022, 10:52:32 AMHave you tried swapping plugs, cylinder for cylinder to see if trouble moves or even both swapped-out with a known good one(s)? You do state news plugs installed over the winter and it wouldn't be the first time one was bad.

Good chance if I swap the fouled plugs from the front cylinder to the rear the problem will move to the rear :scratch:  I plan on installing new plugs and wires

BigT

Quote from: hrdtail78 on May 16, 2022, 02:21:14 PMTo the OQ.  Yes, pull tank and remove horn bracket.  Be careful of the clocking dawgs on the fuel manifold.  They are plastic and can break.  Pull straight up.
Thanks!