April 19, 2024, 04:35:40 PM

News:

FL Evo exhaust?

Started by Finn, May 17, 2022, 01:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Hello.

I'm wondering whether an Evo FL by any chance is or isn't restricted on the exhaust side?

Mine has stock Y-pipe with some straight through mufflers.

Would replacing the original Y-pipe with something like S&S Power Tune Dual headers bring any noticeable gains in HP/TQ and/or lower heat from exhaust?

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

rigidthumper

I used those on a 2004 Ultra, passenger reported cooler left leg than the stock exhaust. Stock exhaust isn't restrictive on 80" motors.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Finn

That's good news. Save the money and get new tyres instead.  :up:
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Finn

Erm...perhaps a new set of slip ons nevertheless...

Crusher Mellows seem to be on sale. Any experience of those ie. is the sound really reasonably OK?

rigidthumper

Crusher Mellows are good for power, less tinny than V&H twin slash rounds.
I didn't think they were still around? (My personal fav)

Ohio HD

Quote from: rigidthumper on May 25, 2022, 05:39:05 AMI didn't think they were still around? (My personal fav)

As far as I know Kuryakyn doesn't sell exhaust at all anymore.

lonewolf

CVO mufflers with Fullsac baffles and wrap work the same as the mellows.

Finn

There were five sets available at Custom Chrome Europe and I asked my parts guy to order a set.

jmorton10

You'll be happy with those.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Finn

Thanks, guys. Mufflers arrived, looking forward to get get them on next Monday.

bobrk1

what  year  is  your  bike , I  think  converter  came  out  in 2010. I  just  cut mine out , I  saw in dyno  2 bikes  one  removed  the cat the other  change the  pipe  only  1 hp  difference . the  exhaust  you  show front  pipe  looks longer  than  rear don't  know  how  it  would  effect  power .

Hossamania

Quote from: bobrk1 on May 28, 2022, 06:59:27 AMwhat  year  is  your  bike , I  think  converter  came  out  in 2010. I  just  cut mine out , I  saw in dyno  2 bikes  one  removed  the cat the other  change the  pipe  only  1 hp  difference . the  exhaust  you  show front  pipe  looks longer  than  rear don't  know  how  it  would  effect  power .

It's an Evo, no cat.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Finn

Yep, these are for my -97 Road King.

I was considering the headers but scrapped the idea and decided to keep the stock Y-pipe and change just the mufflers.

Hossamania

Check that header for cracks right at the Y near the rear head pipe, a known issue. Also look for a broken bracket there too, also a known issue. If the pipe is cracked, just have it welded.

Finn

Will do, thanks for a heads-up.  :up:

kd

The stock header is actually pretty decent.  The two weaknesses that Hoss pointed out aside, if it is kept secure that may never be an issue.  Put new rubbers in the rear muffler hangers to keep the buzz away and that will help.
KD

CndUltra88

Quote from: Hossamania on May 28, 2022, 07:10:22 AMCheck that header for cracks right at the Y near the rear head pipe, a known issue. Also look for a broken bracket there too, also a known issue. If the pipe is cracked, just have it welded.
Good advice and an easy spot too...
Finn, I look forward to an install report and sound report too when completed.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Finn

Quote from: CndUltra88 on May 28, 2022, 07:16:47 AMGood advice and an easy spot too...
Finn, I look forward to an install report and sound report too when completed.
Rob
Will do.  :up:

Hossamania

Quote from: kd on May 28, 2022, 07:14:36 AMThe stock header is actually pretty decent.  The two weaknesses that Hoss pointed out aside, if it is kept secure that may never be an issue.  Put new rubbers in the rear muffler hangers to keep the buzz away and that will help.

Plus one on the rubbers. They cause an annoying squeak. Which reminds me, I'm due for new ones.

HogMike

Quote from: Finn on May 28, 2022, 07:04:34 AMYep, these are for my -97 Road King.

I was considering the headers but scrapped the idea and decided to keep the stock Y-pipe and change just the mufflers.

CA and export bikes had the cats in the mufflers.

My 1995 always had a problem with cracks at the "y".
Solved that with the true dual conversion from Fullsac. That along with the cvo muffler with (now 2" cores).
I've used this setup for years and NO more work on the exhaust system.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

May 28, 2022, 07:04:43 PM #20 Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 07:09:47 PM by Hossamania
I'm not aware of catalytic converters being used by HD until 2009. The Google doesn't really find any before that, California or otherwise. I definitely don't know of any on the Evo motor.
Edit: some info says California touring bikes had a muffler in the right side muffler only, '03 to '06.
I still say Evo bikes never had a cat.

Finn

If you look in there you would think that the Crusher Mellows would be quiet - they are not. :teeth: They are not loud either but they make a very pleasent low rumble and do bark when you give some revs.

And they are soooo well made.  :up:

Installationwise nothing to it just loose the rear hanger and front clamp and switch the mufflers.

rigidthumper

And, IME/IMO, they work better than most anything out there as a slip-on.

Breeze

Finn; If you re-used the stock muffler to head pipe clamps, make sure they really cinched tight, not just the nut got hard to turn. They are designed for 1 use and often won't tighten because of the design. It's simple to make them "multi" use by grinding the splines off of the bolts. I believe a search here will bring up old posts.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

CndUltra88

Quote from: Finn on June 02, 2022, 09:25:56 AMIf you look in there you would think that the Crusher Mellows would be quiet - they are not. :teeth: They are not loud either but they make a very pleasent low rumble and do bark when you give some revs.

And they are soooo well made.  :up:

Installationwise nothing to it just loose the rear hanger and front clamp and switch the mufflers.

Looks Good !
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan