March 28, 2024, 10:39:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FL tires in 2022?

Started by Finn, May 17, 2022, 05:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Now that there is no actual need to put money on headers (other topic) I might want to change the tires.

Current ones are D402 with lots of tread left but they are a bit old, especially the rear one. And the feel is...well...there is not much feel.

Two years ago, when I got the Heritage, I agonized for days what tires to get and finally went with Michelin Commander III Cruisers. I have liked them a lot.

Back then my short list was:

- Michelin Commander III Cruiser
- Dunlop American Elite
- Avon Cobra Chrome

Has there been any major development in tires ie. are these three still comparable with each other or are there now new products on the market to consider?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

calif phil

Those are still the top three choices, Avon for handling, Dunlop for best all around tire with the longest tread wear. CIII comes in 3rd.

Finn

Thanks.  :beer:

Getting prices and availability for all three alternatives tomorrow.

Never had Avons before, Bad Boy had Dunlop AEs - they felt very good - and as said, FLSTC has Michelins.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

Hossamania

I've been running the AEs since they came out but always wanted to try the Avon's.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fbn ent

Quote from: Hossamania on May 17, 2022, 11:48:37 AMI've been running the AEs since they came out but always wanted to try the Avon's.

Hoss, I like Avon and have always wanted to try AEs.  :hyst:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Finn

Yes, I'm interested in Avons too. For some reason none of my buddies either have tested Avon tires yet.

BigT

I switched over to Avon Chromes on my Street Glide. Great tire for handling as Phil said. I am on my second set and got about 10k on the rear before it needed to be replaced. The front could have gone another year but nothing like a new set

Finn

How do the Avons do in wet conditions or when it is a bit colder?

fbn ent

The only thing I have had is they are slippery on wet grass/mud. Never had any issues in wet unless it's cold enough to not be wet.

SixShooter14

agreed, I had Avons on my old Softail. No complaints, but only put 5k on them. I have the standard HD Dunlops (D402)? on my Road King. They are now 2 years old with nearly 7k and are starting to wear. Only issue with them is they are a bit hard when cold, I notice the back end locks up a bit easier than I'd like. I will replace them this winter with AEs (most likely)
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Finn

PC_Hater

Quote from: Finn on May 17, 2022, 12:52:50 PMHow do the Avons do in wet conditions or when it is a bit colder?
AVONs work very well in the wet and cold!
Why do you think I use them here in the UK?
They have kept me alive in vile conditions for nigh on 50 years.

They might not be the high mileage choice if you live in Nevada...
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Finn

Quote from: PC_Hater on May 18, 2022, 02:26:08 AMAVONs work very well in the wet and cold!

That is good to hear. Acceptable grip is a must, mileage comes secondary. :up:

Went to see my dealer. Strange situation in Europe with tires as it is not that easy to find what you want. Avons were not available, same thing with Dunlop AE. Michelin Commander III you would have got Touring front and Cruiser rear - no thanks.  :dgust:

I'm contacting this independent shop tomorrow with details. They have different channels for tires and parts.

I mentioned my mechanic that things get a bit lively when you pass a truck and cross center lane markings and/or tarmac edges etc. Scared myself to bits when this happened the first time.

He recommended to increase pressures and we went from 36 to 40 front and 36 to 43 rear.
This helped a bit.

Also, shock air pressures front and rear were 0. We put 10 psi in both. Not too hard now, more stable I would say.

fbn ent

Yep...38/40 Front and 40/42 Rear. Avon says more.

kd

May 18, 2022, 09:27:51 AM #14 Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 03:32:33 PM by kd
Quote from: fbn ent on May 18, 2022, 09:06:48 AMYep...38/40 Front and 40/42 Rear. Avon says more.

That's about where I am at on my RGU with Commander II's (38 / 40) .  I have TPMS and they will build at least 5-6# on the ride. Especially when hot out.
KD

Hossamania

Quote from: Finn on May 18, 2022, 08:28:26 AM
Quote from: PC_Hater on May 18, 2022, 02:26:08 AMAVONs work very well in the wet and cold!

Went to see my dealer. Strange situation in Europe with tires as it is not that easy to find what you want. Avons were not available, same thing with Dunlop AE. Michelin Commander III you would have got Touring front and Cruiser rear - no thanks.  :dgust:

I'm contacting this independent shop tomorrow with details. They have different channels for tires and parts.

I mentioned my mechanic that things get a bit lively when you pass a truck and cross center lane markings and/or tarmac edges etc. Scared myself to bits when this happened the first time.

He recommended to increase pressures and we went from 36 to 40 front and 36 to 43 rear.
This helped a bit.

Also, shock air pressures front and rear were 0. We put 10 psi in both. Not too hard now, more stable I would say.

For the rear shocks on the touring (RoadKing) try running more air pressure. I run mine at 35 psi solo, up to 45 with passenger. Try yours at 25 and go from there. I know it seems counterintuitive to a softer ride, but give it a try.
As far as the wobbling when crossing the paint stripes, that is when I know it's time to think about new tires. Pressure helps, but when they start to be affected by paint, they are getting marginal.

Finn

Thanks for the tip. :up: I'll tinker with shock pressures to see how it responds.

kd

May 18, 2022, 01:44:55 PM #17 Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 03:31:30 PM by kd
Quote from: Hossamania on May 18, 2022, 10:26:11 AM
Quote from: Finn on May 18, 2022, 08:28:26 AM

This helped a bit.

For the rear shocks on the touring (RoadKing) try running more air pressure. I run mine at 35 psi solo, up to 45 with passenger. Try yours at 25 and go from there. I know it seems counterintuitive to a softer ride, but give it a try.
As far as the wobbling when crossing the paint stripes, that is when I know it's time to think about new tires. Pressure helps, but when they start to be affected by paint, they are getting marginal.

There's a difference between the early and later shocks in the air pressure tolerance.  Be careful.  As Hoss said, the later versions appear to be upgraded in the seals to accept more air safely.  If the shocks are still OEM for that bike go by the numbers on the tag in the saddle bag.  My 98's take a max of
35# and the 2011 is 50# max.  The owners manual gives suggested levels for weight.
KD

Hossamania

I believe they are the same shock, just new max ratings as info was gathered over the years. I have an '01 and run it in the 40's with a passenger.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on May 18, 2022, 02:57:21 PMI believe they are the same shock, just new max ratings as info was gathered over the years. I have an '01 and run it in the 40's with a passenger.

Just looked up the numbers, they are different, but not sure how much of a difference there is between them. Maybe they do have different seals. There doesn't seem to be a difference in how lousy they ride.

Finn

Dunlop AE was out of stock and no delivery date was available.

Michelin Commander III was troublesome as well: would have needed to take a Touring front and Cruiser rear (or was it the other way around?) so no thanks.

So Avon Cobra Chrome it is. Bonus was that they were also considerable cheaper than the other two. Which is nice.  :up:

Finn

The out of stock situation is/was for big European distributors such as Parts Europe etc.

IronButt70

Quote from: Finn on May 19, 2022, 02:31:36 AMDunlop AE was out of stock and no delivery date was available.

Michelin Commander III was troublesome as well: would have needed to take a Touring front and Cruiser rear (or was it the other way around?) so no thanks.

So Avon Cobra Chrome it is. Bonus was that they were also considerable cheaper than the other two. Which is nice.  :up:
Finn,
IIRC you have a 2016 softail. You can put touring front and rear with the MCIIIs if you use a MU85B16 on the rear. The difference in size is negligible from the stock size. I'm on my second rear on my 17 softail. Last one went 20k miles. There will always be a difference of opinion on which tires last longer but I've pretty much tried them all and always go back to MCs.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Deye76

I had the AE's on my Roadglide, they weren't bad, recently installed Dunlop E4 on my FXR, very good grip as long as the pavement is dry, scary even in a light rain. Back to Avon next set.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Finn

Quote from: IronButt70 on May 19, 2022, 11:02:57 AMFinn,
IIRC you have a 2016 softail. You can put touring front and rear with the MCIIIs if you use a MU85B16 on the rear. The difference in size is negligible from the stock size. I'm on my second rear on my 17 softail. Last one went 20k miles. There will always be a difference of opinion on which tires last longer but I've pretty much tried them all and always go back to MCs.
Thanks for the tip.  :up: