May 01, 2024, 09:27:13 PM

News:

FXDWG front end Clunk

Started by dubepj, September 19, 2023, 08:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

1997 FXDWG has a front end clunk. Bike is really nice with only 10500 miles. don't know if fork oil was ever changed so I'll do this today.
  Research says 3 possible causes.
1. Loose gas tank bolts.  Not my issue.  checked all good
2. need to tighten nut on top of bearing and set fall away.  Tightened mine a bit.  Fall away seems good
3. Fork oil too light grade. Going to Dealer today will buy Type E Heavy. 
Should I get heavier weight??
Any more insight from all you pros is appreciated.  Thanks

rigidthumper

September 19, 2023, 08:19:45 AM #1 Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:24:36 AM by rigidthumper
I found under torquing on the top nut to allow slight shifting of the stem under hard braking, creating a "pop". Once you're happy with fallaway, try using 80 pounds of TQ on the top nut.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hilly13

I'd near bet a nurry it's the neck bearings are too loose, jack the front of the bike off the ground and with the front wheel pointing straight ahead squat/sit in front of the bike and push and pull on the wheel to see if you can feel any clunking, fallaway can be deceptive in that it may meet the specs(usually because a short cut or two was used in the process but not always)but the bearings still have too much clearance.
Also even though it's low miles and at its first service by the dealer it should of been checked there is a good chance it was not, my 2006 wideglide was fine, my 2016 softail was not.
Just because its said don't make it so

dubepj

I did push and pull and there was a very slight movement.  I did tighten the funny looking nut under the top tripple tree.  It helped.  This morning change fork oil to HEAVY Screaming Eagle.  Did not drive bike since.  we'll see if it helps.

Sinker

I also have a 1997 wide glide with the same issue. I have had it to the shop 2 or 3 × 2 try to resolve it, but they can never figure out what the problem is. Any kind of a small pot hole or going over railroad tracks, or anything else that compresses the front suspension. Create stuff bottoming out feel. I would love to know why this is.

FSG

the problem is at the top of the steering head ......  there's a Tech Advisory about it ......  I just need to remember and find it

FSG

check the orientation of the upper adjusting nut, all HD Documentation (artists impression) shows it upside down

Don't overlook Service Bulletins

M-1215B , STEERING STEM NUT/WASHER
M-1215 , STEERING STEM NUT/WASHER

Sinker

So in the picture provides is nut #43 shown correctly or is it upside down in the picture?

FSG