April 19, 2024, 04:07:18 AM

News:

FL tires in 2022?

Started by Finn, May 17, 2022, 05:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokein

Quote from: fbn ent on May 18, 2022, 09:06:48 AMYep...38/40 Front and 40/42 Rear. Avon says more.

Agreed! I constantly hear people complain about tread life on Avons but they all look at me confused when I tell them u can't run OEM PSI. Avon has a handy chart that shows exactly what to run and it's higher.
My first set was on an 11 RG with an S&S 124" HC 640 setup and they were excellent. Sold bike with over 10k on those tires and they had plenty of meat left after my abuse.
Stay safe.

fbn ent

Quote from: smokein on May 20, 2022, 08:21:30 AM
Quote from: fbn ent on May 18, 2022, 09:06:48 AMYep...38/40 Front and 40/42 Rear. Avon says more.

Agreed! I constantly hear people complain about tread life on Avons but they all look at me confused when I tell them u can't run OEM PSI. Avon has a handy chart that shows exactly what to run and it's higher.
My first set was on an 11 RG with an S&S 124" HC 640 setup and they were excellent. Sold bike with over 10k on those tires and they had plenty of meat left after my abuse.
Stay safe.

Many guys I dealt with are going to Avon radials. A little smaller aspect in the rear but they give good handling/mileage.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Finn

Avons arrived on Tuesday. Will take two weeks before we get them on. They look really nice.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

calif phil

Avon's also don't use the yellow dot that most other tires manufactures use.  They say, if you make them round you don't need it.   :teeth:

You should love the Avon's, stick like poop on a baby blanket. 

RKRuss

I recently put a set of Commander III touring on my Victory prior to a ride from Far North Queensland to Tasmania (Australia) and return. It was a trip of around 9000kms (around 5600 miles).

I rode through a bit of rain down in Tasmania and then on the way home, had about a 1000km stretch of fairly decent rain. I found that these tyres are absolutely lethal in wet weather. They hydroplane terribly, to the point that I nearly put the bike down on one occasion on a pretty much straight stretch of highway at the posted speed limit of 100 kph (60 mph). It just lost all grip front and rear and went into a full on lock to lock slide.

I'd run Commander II previously and whilst they weren't brilliant, were much better than the III's. Definitely won't be buying another set. 

Schex3x

I been on Avons for years, I run tpms on all my bikes and get 12k on rears and about 17 on fronts, due to availability issues, I changed brands and loving them, best handling tires I've run yet,if they do good through the life of the tire, they will be my new favorite tires, what brand?, I can't tell ya, I'm hoarding them, don't want to start a shortage on them too, sorry

kd

Quote from: Schex3x on June 11, 2022, 03:12:17 PMI been on Avons for years, I run tpms on all my bikes and get 12k on rears and about 17 on fronts, due to availability issues, I changed brands and loving them, best handling tires I've run yet,if they do good through the life of the tire, they will be my new favorite tires, what brand?, I can't tell ya, I'm hoarding them, don't want to start a shortage on them too, sorry

So you're throwing Avons under the bus for another brand that you won't even name?   :scratch:  An interesting way to contribute (or not) to a discussion.  I hope they work well for you.
KD

Schex3x

Not throwing Avons under the bus at all, sitting on a set for one of my bikes, bought before the price hike that was obviously going to happen, I tried to get a set for another bike and the 19's were not available, so researching I decided to try a set of Bridgestone Battlecruise H50's, so far, they're everything Bridgestone claims on their site, I liked them enough to pick up another set and install them on my '17 RG and did a 1250 mile trip last weekend around the Ozark's, they passed that little test with flying colors.
Another plus is they are less expensive than Avon & Dunlop, for now anyway, but don't tell anyone.

Fugawee

Mums the Word...

kd

Quote from: Schex3x on June 11, 2022, 04:55:35 PMNot throwing Avons under the bus at all, sitting on a set for one of my bikes, bought before the price hike that was obviously going to happen, I tried to get a set for another bike and the 19's were not available, so researching I decided to try a set of Bridgestone Battlecruise H50's, so far, they're everything Bridgestone claims on their site, I liked them enough to pick up another set and install them on my '17 RG and did a 1250 mile trip last weekend around the Ozark's, they passed that little test with flying colors.
Another plus is they are less expensive than Avon & Dunlop, for now anyway, but don't tell anyone.

I looked at them and like the extra grooves and sidewall grip.  Grooves are good for rain.  I did look a little further and noticed when you search their website for "touring" the "Battlecruise" does not show.  Their touring tire is "Battlax".  You may want to look into using the "cruise" version on your 900# touring RG.  They mention the Battlax is constructed especially for the heavier touring bikes.  The "Cruise" tire appears to be for cruiser weight (softail and FX size likely OK) and may not be as strong as you would like.
KD

Schex3x

kd

Quote from: Schex3x on June 11, 2022, 06:46:56 PMhttps://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr140/

180/B65 16 is a 81h and max pressure is 49lbs

Read the info in the link you attached.  It says in the very first recommendation, "Recommended for riders with American cruisers"  They average 200# less (or more) than your RG touring bike with empty saddle bags. 

Here's what they say about their Battlax tires.

https://www.bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/detail/pr181/

Notice the reference to touring bikes is first recommendation and the different tread pattern as well as the mention of the contact patch.  I expect if you have a catastrophic failure issue with the "Cruise" version you'll be on your own (if you make it).  Is it worth the risk?   :nix:   I don't really see what the max tire pressure has to do with it either.

Oh yeah, FWIW, the Bridgestone and the Avon seem to be priced about the same where I have looked it up.  I sure do like their Sport touring tread style though.
KD

Schex3x

The Battlecruise 180/65-16 is the same 81(1018lbs) load rating as Avon and Dunlop
The front 130/60B19 for all three are the same 61
That is the size and load rating on the downtube of the RG

Battlax does not have those sizes or load ratings

Cobra Chrome set 412.80
Battlecruise set 377.90

Finn

Someday I will try a set of Bridgestone H50 on a Harley - their Exedra G704 and G709 under my Honda GL1800 make a very, very nice and neutral ride.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

TN

Avon (venom) used to be my go to tire for years for pre 2009 Harleys I've owned, I tried a set of cobra chrome with the 180/55-18 the proper load rating for my bike 80, the rear called for 50psi,  soft sidewalls I noticed this when mounting them. I replaced them at 6400 mi due to cupping and cracking all around the perimeter, I emailed Avon several times before I got a response,  I won't be trying them again. For now it's the dunlop AE, which are tough to find in certain size these days.

You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.
Just Ride..........

Finn

What a change a set of new tyres can make.

Drove 100 kms to my dealer today to get the Avons on. On my way there bike handled as I have described earlier ie. very sensitive to squirm from longitudinal grooves, tarmac repair patches etc.

With new tyres all that is now gone and bike steer effortlessly and feels very neutral. Seems to roll lighter as well. Need to scrub them well now for couple of hundred kilometers and then just enjoy.

I'm really happy with the result.  :smile:

HogMike

Quote from: Deye76 on May 20, 2022, 05:22:06 AMI had the AE's on my Roadglide, they weren't bad, recently installed Dunlop E4 on my FXR, very good grip as long as the pavement is dry, scary even in a light rain. Back to Avon next set.

We don't get much rain in SoCal and I've been pretty happy with the AE tires.
Sticking with them on my 2019 Limited.
My rear lasted just over 19k miles and going to change the front next week with just over 21500 miles. Not on the wear bars yet but I'm going on some long trips and feel better with new rubber.
This is a bike 2 up 50% of the time and not easy on the throttle .
My current bikes all have AE and they work well for me, even on my softail.You cannot see attachments on this board.
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Oclaf

Quote from: Finn on May 17, 2022, 05:57:04 AMNow that there is no actual need to put money on headers (other topic) I might want to change the tires.

Current ones are D402 with lots of tread left but they are a bit old, especially the rear one. And the feel is...well...there is not much feel.

Two years ago, when I got the Heritage, I agonized for days what tires to get and finally went with Michelin Commander III Cruisers. I have liked them a lot.

Back then my short list was:

- Michelin Commander III Cruiser
- Dunlop American Elite
- Avon Cobra Chrome

Has there been any major development in tires ie. are these three still comparable with each other or are there now new products on the market to consider?

what am i missing? you say the 402's are old but have tread, yet when you bought the bike you put on MC3's and love them???

just what tires are we being asked about???

Finn

Tyres I was asking about were for the Evo Road King. Michelins are on my 2016 Heritage Softail.

I guess my main reason for asking was if there were updates or something affecting earlier opinions of tyres.

Availability of some brands have been quite challenging this year over here.

HogMike

Quote from: Finn on September 02, 2022, 07:53:25 PMTyres I was asking about were for the Evo Road King. Michelins are on my 2016 Heritage Softail.

I guess my main reason for asking was if there were updates or something affecting earlier opinions of tyres.

Availability of some brands have been quite challenging this year over here.

Don't know about availability overseas, but I've had good luck finding AE here.
I'm running those on my 1995 evo standard. Bike tracks very nice unless I get on the gas hard into long sweepers. Just the nature of the frame/swingarm on the evo's in those years I guess.
This bike has 150,000 miles but I keep up on the maintenance.
Original neck bearings, wheel bearings changed at 100k. Bike still tracks nice and no wobbles.
JME :missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

IronButt70

Quote from: RKRuss on June 11, 2022, 05:54:03 AMI recently put a set of Commander III touring on my Victory prior to a ride from Far North Queensland to Tasmania (Australia) and return. It was a trip of around 9000kms (around 5600 miles).

I rode through a bit of rain down in Tasmania and then on the way home, had about a 1000km stretch of fairly decent rain. I found that these tyres are absolutely lethal in wet weather. They hydroplane terribly, to the point that I nearly put the bike down on one occasion on a pretty much straight stretch of highway at the posted speed limit of 100 kph (60 mph). It just lost all grip front and rear and went into a full on lock to lock slide.

I'd run Commander II previously and whilst they weren't brilliant, were much better than the III's. Definitely won't be buying another set.
What tire pressures were you running. Sounds like too much with what you experienced. I live in Fl. where it rains pretty much every day this time of year and I've never had the issues you reported. The one and only time I lost grip is when I got caught in what's called here a microburst. Weather went from light drizzle to 60+MPH crossing winds with hail. Luckily I saw the change coming and was almost stopped when I was literally blown off the road.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Schex3x

May 23, 2023, 05:36:50 AM #46 Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 05:42:25 AM by Schex3x
Bridgestone H50 update, 11,400 miles, 100% 2-up, 98% with full load for trips, this is our travel bike, 74K on the clock.
No cracking, very little cupping, the Dunlops and Avons would've looked like mud grips by now.
Started to hear them in corners at about 10k, but nothing like the other brands I've run, wet road performance is still very good.

Ohio HD

I'm glad that you posted about these. I plan to try a set on my Ultra when they need replaced. Your pics show a decent tire still at 11,400 miles.    :up:

14Frisco

I have run Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires on my Sporty for 20 years and really like them. I may try these Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 on my Road King and on my XL next time.

calif phil

I just got a new Avon Speedmaster 21" for an old style Chopper.  But most sizes are still unavailable.