April 18, 2024, 05:13:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Belt strength

Started by Bsmith153, May 18, 2022, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bsmith153

Hey guys,  im running a 124" in my 04 bagger. Its pushing a 145 horse and 140 torque at the rear wheel. I converted it to chain but everytime I take the damn thing out I gotta tighten the chain again.  My buddy says belts are kevlar and wont snap but he doesnt race or do as many burnouts as me.  Yes im that asshole that does rolling burnouts a lot.  Can anybody here who races or generally rides like me vouch for any particular belt that can hold up to my abuse?
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

Ohio HD

Your chain shouldn't stretch every time you ride it. What kind of chain is it? A good o-ring or x-ring chain shouldn't stretch except for within the first 1,000 or 1,500 miles. After that then only a little stretch with lots of miles and sprocket wear.

Are your sprockets wearing out?

kd

May 18, 2022, 07:40:12 PM #2 Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 09:40:36 PM by kd
Quote from: Bsmith153 on May 18, 2022, 06:21:57 PMHey guys,  im running a 124" in my 04 bagger. Its pushing a 145 horse and 140 torque at the rear wheel. I converted it to chain but everytime I take the damn thing out I gotta tighten the chain again.  My buddy says belts are kevlar and wont snap but he doesnt race or do as many burnouts as me.  Yes im that asshole that does rolling burnouts a lot.  Can anybody here who races or generally rides like me vouch for any particular belt that can hold up to my abuse?

What if anything did you do with your swingarm and axle.  If you didn't change the adjusting cam setup from OEM your problem will NOT go away.  It's a common problem with built engines used like they should be. Hard.  :teeth:

I am running a bit more power and torque and ride like you pretty well daily.  I experienced it immediately and when I had a belt I broke them easily if I didn't notice it was loose.  I went to a chain and the correct adjuster and the trouble went away.

The shock is too much even with a belt and the cams slip letting the belt or chain get loose.   A chain (or belt) will get loose but a belt will break when that happens.  The power pulls the axle forward. The belt climbs the cogs and it's all over but the crying. 

The best you can do with the stock setup is to clean the grease from the face of the swingarm and washers to dry before torqueing the axle to add traction but it'll still eventually loosen up if you ride the way you (and I) do.  What you really need is an aftermarket adjuster that is like the early style that holds the axle back, not a cam system. I don't have any pics but others will chime in with some.  Go to the RB Racing web site and see what they do to a swingarm.  IMO it's pricey but the best option you can buy.  There are other systems that some members have been using that they swear by too.  The thing I like about the RB Racing mod is the 2" adjustment range that allows sprocket (gearing) changes on the same chain).

A good o-ring or x-ring chain like Ohio mentions in that 10,000 # range will seat in in the first 100 miles and need no more adjusting if kept lubed.  Your sprocket will wear first and the slack even then is barely noticeable.

If you do still have the OEM axle adjuster can in place, mark the cams and the swing arm with tire chalk and you will see how the cams will rotate and let the chain come loose. Oh, and to answer your question, IMO You won't find a belt that will hold more than a good top quality chain, especially if you haven't dealt with the adjuster as mentioned.
KD

jmorton10

Yeah, fixing the adjuster problem is mandatory on any bike ridden the way we do lol.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

May 19, 2022, 05:02:48 AM #4 Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 05:07:33 AM by Hossamania
This is one option.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,114260.0.html#msg1368749

Also, Ohio listed an axle/adjuster from Performance Machine (I think) recently.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Deye76

This is what I had done to the OE swing arm on my FXR. Fab Kevin did the work, don't know if he does bagger arms. There's always Brocks too.You cannot see attachments on this board.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hbkeith

My drag sporty only needs chain adjusted after 15 passes or so , a GOOD chain should cost near $200 .

Bsmith153

Hey guys thanks for the info. I always hated the cam system so I did change the adjuster when I had the swingarm extended 2 inches. Its the old style like my iron head had with bolts on both sides.  I thought i had a good chain but perhaps not.  Thatll be my next step.thanks guys.   
I race because its Fun!

kd

Quote from: Bsmith153 on May 19, 2022, 09:51:00 AMHey guys thanks for the info. I always hated the cam system so I did change the adjuster when I had the swingarm extended 2 inches. Its the old style like my iron head had with bolts on both sides.  I thought i had a good chain but perhaps not.  Thatll be my next step.thanks guys.   

Yes, if you have a substantial adjuster you will have to look elsewhere for a remedy.  FWIW the 10,000 # chain in the o-ring or x-ring style will be your best choice.  That's what is working for me.  I used to buy the cheap stuff and it would actually get stretched sections in it you could feel as a vibration.  A good chain kept clean and lubed with "no fling" lube will keep you happy.
KD

JSD

Buy a RK top of the range they are used on GP bikes after you sort adjusters

Bsmith153

The adjusters were already changed when i converted to chain so Im looking for a new chain.  My local guy cant get any of the ones i asked about so Im still hunting!
I race because its Fun!

Finn

When we did my 124" HC RKC back in 2005 or so we decided to do a chain conversion.

We chose strongest we could find at that time and it was an X-ring chain for a Hayabusa. After initial adjustment and a minor re-adjustment after two or three weeks there was very little if any need for further adjustments.

I would look for strongest 530 chain available.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

kd

Quote from: Finn on June 10, 2022, 12:14:00 PMWhen we did my 124" HC RKC back in 2005 or so we decided to do a chain conversion.

We chose strongest we could find at that time and it was an X-ring chain for a Hayabusa. After initial adjustment and a minor re-adjustment after two or three weeks there was very little if any need for further adjustments.

I would look for strongest 530 chain available.

:agree: You won't do better than a top quality x or o ring chain.  Not the drag race chain because they don't have the lube retention and dirt protection.  Use a riveted master link for that chain made by the manufacturer.  After it seats in to your sprockets you won't be worrying about adjustment.  Clean it when necessary and lube it.  There are plenty of fling free lines and wax coatings by recognizable brand names.

I am running approximately 150 square through mine and beat it every time I ride it with no ill effects.
KD

jmorton10

Quote from: kd on June 10, 2022, 12:55:23 PMI am running approximately 150 square through mine and beat it every time I ride it with no ill effects.

lol, yeah same here. I don't have to remember what my rev limiter is set at (6200). I hit it almost immediately after it warms up every time I ride it.....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS