April 23, 2024, 09:20:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

PPG paint codes

Started by fleetmechanic, May 20, 2022, 11:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

I need to do some painting for the first time in many years.  What are the PPG paint codes for Vivid Black and Birch White?

Coyote

Birch White 90303
Vivid Black 9850

fleetmechanic

Are those still the codes for the newer Omni products?

Coyote

I always use Deltron on HDs. I did try Shopline recently on a BMW job, it worked well. I don't think the base matters with regards to the paint code. I guess you could email PPG. Omni is one of there "low cost" bases.

fleetmechanic

Thanks,  Does Deltron come in a kit with all fluids needed?

Coyote

None of them do. You'll need base coat, clear coat, activator, reducer and cleaner.

fleetmechanic

Someone who paints pointed me to Kirker products.  I think I'll try that.  Looks a lot cheaper than PPG.

Tacocaster

Consider carefully on that "cheaper" option, fleet. I went that route at the tail-end of a very expensive rebuild (Muscle car) and ruined all the blood, sweat, money and tears that had gone into that 6yr project just to save a buck on paint.

Decent paint/materials/preparation will payback huge dividends in satisfaction when done right, is the lesson I learned.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

fleetmechanic

So noted. I'll look again at the PPG options.

Coyote

If you haven't sprayed urethane before, I suspect the brand you choose won't be a limiting factor. Using a very good spray gun and experience are what you need.

fleetmechanic

I've always used PPG in the past with good results except for my signature runs. If I'm just shooting saddlebags in gloss black with Deltron is it just a 1/1 with the paint and the reducer or is there an activator needed for one stage coating?

Coyote

There is one for the base but you don't have to use it. You do need to use an activator in the clear top coat.

fleetmechanic

For fleet use I'll just use the base. As long as it's glossy I can skip the clear coat.

Coyote

Might as well use a rattle can.  :wink:

Coyote

You really can't get a gloss with the base coat. Here is the same piece. First with only the base coat. Second with the clear coat added.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

fleetmechanic

Another lesson learned.  Thank you.  I may be back to Kirker because I do want to use my spraying equipment.
Does anyone out there have any reviews of Kirker?