March 28, 2024, 08:04:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compensator Noise

Started by Wide Glide, May 26, 2022, 08:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wide Glide

Been chasing primary noise, found the clutch hub bearing was bad. NOW I'm getting a chip/rubbing noise from the front of the primary. Have checked the stator screw and rotor several times, all good. Thinking compensator, it's got 85K. Can I get away with replacing just the cover or the whole unit.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

Deye76

The last of that type comp I had was still going when I sold the bike with 96,000 0n the clock. If the bike was lugged a lot it could be the comp. How does the chain, and the  adjuster shoe look? Chain adjustment good?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Wide Glide

I'm was thinking the chain, but the noise is right up front. It seems I can't get a good adjustment on the chain. The shoe looks great, just slight wear on it. No lugging here, I'm always in the power band. What I have read that this design is bulletproof and newer design is bad news. I did add a .020 shim to get the chain alignment. After doing clutch hub bearing and new clutch, I am having hard time to find neutral. I was chalking that up to diaphragm spring not centered in pressure plate, tried twice slide when taking pressure fron compression tool.  :idunno:
'97 FXDWG
Mike

Deye76

May 27, 2022, 06:28:53 AM #3 Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 06:50:05 AM by kd
" It seems I can't get a good adjustment on the chain"

If there is 85K on that chain, maybe try a new one.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JW113

These Shovel/Evo compensators are bullet proof, at least for general use. Drag racing with Hi HP motor, maybe not. But I had close to 200K on my '91, no issues.

Primary noises are a pain, since you can't really see what is going on in there. Or can you?

(bwa ha ha ha ha!)

Having one of these really helps:
You cannot see attachments on this board.

But if you don't have one, you might get away without. Never tried that myself, have heard other dudes have done it.

Drain the primary, and take the outer cover off. Wipe everything down as best you can, then... fire it up! Yes, it will fling some oil at first, so either make a cardboard cover around it, or just clean up the mess afterwards. You can now get your ear or mechanic's stethoscope down in there and pinpoint the noise source. And have a look at what the chain slack is doing.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

xlfan

What was wrong with sprocket shaft spacer and seal?

Wide Glide

There looked like there is a slight leak of engine oil. I'm not sure if it's normal for the spacer to slide in and out, 1/8"+ and it looks like it is rubbing on the rotor shim. I'm guessing that the oil seal holds the spacer in place and it shouldn't slide in and out.
'97 FXDWG
Mike

xlfan

It is the clamp load of the sprocket shaft compensator nut that holds the spacer in place. Rubbing evidence on rotor shim indicates insufficient clamp load on sprocket shaft nut, and could explain noise from loose rotor. Was the rotor splines tight or loose on sprocket shaft?