April 24, 2024, 02:22:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

6th Gear Going Out?

Started by WhipLash96, May 31, 2022, 05:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

What are some the signs of the stock transmission on a Slim going out? I just upgraded the compensator from stock to the Man O War. After this upgrade I then noticed that 6th gear seems to have a lot more vibration than before? It's not making any weird sounds, just a lot more vibration.  :scratch:
Thanks,
Whip

Coyote

Ohio HD

Stop lugging it......   

WhipLash96

Quote from: Coyote on May 31, 2022, 05:38:20 PMIt's the comp.

Man I was hoping that was it. I don't usually pop it into 6th until 65 mph. I notice that this comp likes it much better at 70+.....
Thanks,
Whip

Coyote

Don't think it's rpm. Have you talked with DH?

WhipLash96

Quote from: Coyote on May 31, 2022, 05:54:04 PMDon't think it's rpm. Have you talked with DH?
I haven't yet. It was installed last week so I want to give it a little more time to see if it goes away or not. It happens in 6th gear only..
Thanks,
Whip

Deye76

I'm on my 5th bike with a 6spd, none of them ever saw 6th until 70mph. If its smoother @ 70, think you found your answer.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on June 01, 2022, 06:32:45 AMI'm on my 5th bike with a 6spd, none of them ever saw 6th until 70mph. If its smoother @ 70, think you found your answer.

Same here. Sixth needs a few RPM's to keep from shuddering the drivetrain.

I seldom shift out of 5th unless I'm on the freeway running 70 mph or higher.

hrdtail78

Is it installed correctly and shimmed properly?  If not the bold might of bottomed out.  A loose comp is more noticeable at higher gearing and less load.  Also on shut down.
Semper Fi

WhipLash96

Quote from: hrdtail78 on June 01, 2022, 12:06:49 PMIs it installed correctly and shimmed properly?  If not the bold might of bottomed out.  A loose comp is more noticeable at higher gearing and less load.  Also on shut down.
Yes, everything is installed correctly. With the old comp I was able to shift into sixth without any vibration at 65. I guess I will just have to change that to 70. No biggy..As mentioned, it only does this in 6th..
Thanks,
Whip

Coyote

I think it's the nature of the comp. There's not as much movement with those rubber inserts. You're not the first to bring it up.

WhipLash96

Quote from: Coyote on June 01, 2022, 05:06:34 PMI think it's the nature of the comp. There's not as much movement with those rubber inserts. You're not the first to bring it up.
I figure that I wasn't. I'm not worried about it anymore.... Thanks for your insight.. :smiled:
Thanks,
Whip

60Gunner

FWIW, I run a 30 tooth solid primary sprocket(no compensator) and I still don't use 6th gear until at least 70mph and even then I don't try accelerating very much and will downshift if I really want/need to accelerate. Worst thing you can do is lug these things.
6th gear roll ons are not something that interests me.

WhipLash96

Quote from: 60Gunner on June 04, 2022, 07:14:43 PMFWIW, I run a 30 tooth solid primary sprocket(no compensator) and I still don't use 6th gear until at least 70mph and even then I don't try accelerating very much and will downshift if I really want/need to accelerate. Worst thing you can do is lug these things.
6th gear roll ons are not something that interests me.

There is no lugging this engine. With the stock comp on this bike and at a steady speed, the bike was ok in 6th at 65 mph. I have been riding for a long time, I guess I don't need riding lessons. LOL  After riding it with the new comp on now for about 500 miles, it seems that the vibration that I was concerned about in the beginning has lessened tremendously, even if at 65 mph.....
Thanks,
Whip

Deye76

"There is no lugging this engine."

What RPM @ 65mph? in 6th.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP