April 24, 2024, 06:08:35 PM

News:

What's Next With HD Big Twins

Started by Ohio HD, June 04, 2022, 01:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

QuoteYou're all assuming HD would pull a system out of a Chevy and put it in the motor.

"IF" they ever go down this road, how do you know it won't be all electric?

There are so many options already being used right now that it would be hard to predict.  That's if they even go to VVT or any of the systems out there doing that or a variation of sorts.  Toyota has been using more than one system and even building specialized engines to enhance controlling valve lift and timing. My 2022 Tacoma has innovative valve control.

Here is a place to start if you really want to see what is out there right now. You may be surprised.  If you want to go down the rabbit hole and get a better education, click on the see also section choices.

IMO it may be more likely that the MOCO wont use any variation of VVT.  It seems it is hard to get these equipped engines to meet the Euro IV emissions standard,  I think we all have seen changes in Harleys just to meet that level of emissions.  North America is following suit in many types of engine driven vehicles and devices.
KD

chopper

All this "electric?" vehicle talk, regardless if feasible or not, begs ONE question: Where is all this extra electricity going to come from?  We've already been warned of rolling blackouts nationwide this summer.  We are building NO new power plants, water levels behind major dams are dropping. Solar is turning out to be a bottomless pit. Wind? Sporadic at best.
 So, where's the electricity going to come from?

As far as HD's future engines? I have a lot of doubts. I suspect the "potato" is going away. There are just far too many better, more efficient options out there. A V twin has inherent limitations. Especially when water cooled.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

barny7655

VVT on a single cam engine im thinking wont be a over all advantage , more so on a twin cam motor with one exaust cam and one inlet cam running the two pots ,and able to advance,retard, either cam due to reves, or on some cars was only done on the inlet cam ,since the HDs are a low revving motor,and depending on the cam used, will enable the inlet cam to work on the higher revs may be an extra 250 to 500 revs for the exaust cam noot sure they would venture on that for VVT ,either electric or hydraulic VVT on the inlet  cam sprocket would do the trick ,or having two chains running off the crank ,one inlet ,one exaust with  VVT adjuster on the chain for the inlet,one adjuster releasing the other pushing changing the inlet cam position ,may happen , may not happen ,all up to the EPA and what comes out of the exaust ,cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Hossamania

Variable length intake runners to go with VVT?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.