April 19, 2024, 04:05:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1982 flh forks

Started by Chippitt68, June 04, 2022, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippitt68

I had a fork seal leaking so I removed the lower and was able to replace the seal without much trouble. I removed the cap to add The fork oil. I was prepared for the tension from the spring, but it never happened. I'm pretty sure that that's not correct. The manual says nothing about the spring pressure on cap, but I've done this in my other bikes and there is pressure on the cap.

smoserx1

Don't know how much different yours is but I got a 99 and my forks use both a cap and a a plug at the top.  The plug is what holds the spring in.  The cap can be removed with the fork installed on the bike for oil addition without the spring trying to come out.  And like you said other bikes I have done this on (all Hondas) have a different arrangement (no separate plug) and the cap provides the tension keeping the spring in).

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Chippitt68

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 05, 2022, 04:24:17 AMDon't know how much different yours is but I got a 99 and my forks use both a cap and a a plug at the top.  The plug is what holds the spring in.  The cap can be removed with the fork installed on the bike for oil addition without the spring trying to come out.  And like you said other bikes I have done this on (all Hondas) have a different arrangement (no separate plug) and the cap provides the tension keeping the spring in).
I see the plug in the manual now. Thanks for you help.