April 20, 2024, 01:37:46 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

starting problems

Started by 02 Ultra, June 05, 2022, 03:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Ultra

02 flhtcui my son was using the bike he said it made a funny noise on starting but then started. The next time made same noise and continued to make noise could not get it to stop turned everything off and still whirring noise till battery went completely dead. In my shop now bought new battery and before installing it I jumped to new battery and sure enough the noise started without touching anything. It is trying to start but not engaging I can deal with that I think but somehow it is energized without any input from me.
Thanks in advance

Stephen
02 Ultra Classic mild 95"

Coyote

Sounds lie the starter solenoid is stuck on.

kd

Flick the starter button aggressively and in rapid succession so it snaps back out.  Not real common but it does happen when the starter button contacts stick.  Have had personal experience with just that. It acts as though the solenoid is stuck like Coyote stated. Worth a try.  :nix:
KD

smoserx1

Hit the kill switch, that should disable the starter button and isolate that possibility.  If it still happens, relay or solenoid.  Happened to a buddy while we were riding, turned out to the button in his case.  Remove green wire from solenoid, if it still persists the solenoid is mechanically stuck.  I have removed the plunger from mine once or twice, cleaned it up and greased it sparingly.

02 Ultra

Tried kill switch and button no help. So if the solenoid is stuck how do I fix it?

kd

Do you  have a factory service manual?
KD

Jim Bronson

Quote from: 02 Ultra on June 06, 2022, 04:09:31 AMTried kill switch and button no help. So if the solenoid is stuck how do I fix it?
Harley sells a solenoid service kit. $23 on Amazon. Probably videos on youtube.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

smoserx1

Take the green wire off the solenoid & see if it still tries to start when the battery is connected.  If so you know the solenoid is stuck.  If so remove the end cover and extract the solenoid plunger.  Clean and lightly sand the plunger body.  Make sure the copper ring is clean as well as the two copper contacts in the body (or just get the kit mentioned above.)  Lightly grease plunger body and reassemble. If removing the green wire solved the problem it could be a stuck starter relay.  Never seen that happen but who knows.

02 Ultra

I thoroughly cleaned the contacts in the solenoid and that fixed the problem.
Thanks for all the help