1997 FLHRI Turn Signal and Cruise Control Problem

Started by Lotochrome, June 06, 2022, 01:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotochrome

I have a 1997 FLHRI Fuel Injected Road King with about 80k miles. I have owned it most of its life. I have added the cruise control with all stock parts I collected from mostly Ultras of the same year, many many years ago, and many many miles ago.
The other day as I headed to work I noticed the cruise would not engage (but was on and ready). A few days later I noticed the turn signals not working correctly. This could have been happening much sooner as I do not normally look down at my indicator lights, usually I am looking at where I am turning. Anyway, I have noticed at low speed or stopped the turn signals work correctly. When my speed increases the turn signals stop working.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
1997 FLHRI Road King
2014 - FLHTK Ultra Limited

Hossamania

Check the power at the battery with a meter, both before starting, and while the motor is running, check for overcharging, greater than 15 volts (14.7 really), indicating a failed regulator. Increase rpm while checking to see if it overcharges.
Also check for loose battery connections.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

For the older cable driven cruise controls, the first thing to do is unhook the roll off switch. It's a two pin connector on the idle cable.

Having said that, both your issue items use the VSS. Is you speedo working correctly?

Lotochrome

I know the connection you are speaking of on the idle cable. I was thinking that or the switch on the bars to set / resume, as I have had problems with that before. But when I saw the the turn signals it made me think it could be something deeper (such as the VSS although i had not thought about the turn signal using the VSS for the timer, so thanks for this thought). That is why I posted before I even started tearing into it this time.
 I have not noticed anything strange with the speedo, but will check it closer first chance I get. I will do a little research on the VSS and testing it, as I have never had to do this before. I am just a shade tree machinic who just prefers to work on his own junk as much as he can.
1997 FLHRI Road King

Tacocaster

Both Hoss and Coyote likely gave you what you need but I'll toss-in one more to consider relating to the cruise issue only:
Ensure your brake light switches are not "triggered". Easiest way is to check for brake light operation while running at idle (vibration is enough to trigger the front switch). This is also suspect if cruise drops-out unexpectedly.
Mine was triggering with just a slight touch of the front brake lever and taking cruise out when at speed. If yours is on continuously it'll never engage.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Hossamania

I agree with Tacocaster, but that does not explain the issue with the turn signals.
I mentioned the regulator because the turn signals on mine stopped working and I traced it to an overcharging issue.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Lotochrome

1997 FLHRI Road King

Lotochrome

I have a lot going on right now so it may be a week or so before I can stat checking this out, but I will update as soon as I can. Thanks for giving me a couple directions to start with.
1997 FLHRI Road King

Lotochrome

Hello All, and thanks for the assistance. At last I got a little time to have a look at my electrical diagrams and the bike the next day. I found that I had no rear lights at all. So first thing I did was check the fuses, and all were good. Next I pulled the seat and there it was a loose connection. I pushed the connector back together and sure enough it appears to have corrected all my problems. I love it when you are ready for some big problem and it turns out so simple. total shop time including unlocking the doors and locking up when I was done was under 15 min....lol
Thanks again everyone!
:beer: :beer:
1997 FLHRI Road King

HogMike

Quote from: Lotochrome on June 27, 2022, 11:51:36 AMHello All, and thanks for the assistance. At last I got a little time to have a look at my electrical diagrams and the bike the next day. I found that I had no rear lights at all. So first thing I did was check the fuses, and all were good. Next I pulled the seat and there it was a loose connection. I pushed the connector back together and sure enough it appears to have corrected all my problems. I love it when you are ready for some big problem and it turns out so simple. total shop time including unlocking the doors and locking up when I was done was under 15 min....lol
Thanks again everyone!
:beer: :beer:

Maybe you can get a job at a HD dealership now! Good job!
LOL 😂
HOGMIKE
SoCal

thumpr54

I'd choose luck over skill most days....but then it takes a bit of skill to know where to start so you can be lucky..... :SM:   
or have a friend(HTT?) to bounce it off of...
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

tbird

kd

KD

Lotochrome

Quote from: thumpr54 on June 27, 2022, 01:54:10 PMI'd choose luck over skill most days....but then it takes a bit of skill to know where to start so you can be lucky..... :SM: 
or have a friend(HTT?) to bounce it off of...
I have found most days you have to have a little of both. It helps that I have had this girl most of her life, and have had to do most of her repairs. Like a lot of us, I love my Harleys but barely afford them. Not to mention it is the only way to know it was done right and you're not being over charged.

I read in another post that most dealerships won't work on anything this old anymore. More and more techs are just becoming parts swappers. I figure it won't be long until I have to convert her to a carbs.
1997 FLHRI Road King