April 19, 2024, 09:08:30 AM

News:

Shelf life of a big bore kit...??

Started by hattitude, June 08, 2022, 03:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

Just curious to know...

I put a 124" crate engine in my '16 bagger. All is well, and it's running great..

However, living in CA, I kept the old 103" engine (it's serial number is on my reg & pink) in case CARB ever forces me to put it back into the bike. The crate engine isn't CARB compliant. I also may put it back in the bike if I decide to sell it, and keep the 124" for use or sale...

I've had an itch to play with that 103" engine, and do a big bore kit, or maybe even more...

Problem is, if I mod it now, it may not be installed or even started for years....

How does modding an engine then letting it sit, never started and not broken in, affect it...??

JW113

I think if you take a little care putting it away, it should not affect it. They build those crate engines for cars, and who knows how long they sit until someone buys them, installs, and fires them up. This motor sat for supposedly 17 years, it started up, and the guy is going to do a lot more critical stuff with it than putt around on a motorcycle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMrB3gsM7I

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

tdrglide

I did something very similar. After assembly I sealed up tite all openings. Then built a 2x4 and plywood box crate with an engine stand in the base. Sat for two and a half years in the garage. Once or twice a year I would turn it over by hand. Probably didn't need to, i just liked to. Recently installed it and fired it up. Runs great
I see you are in San Diego. If you live on or real close to the beach, be extra extra careful. Salt air and all.

hattitude

Thanks for your input...

Right now the engine is sitting on a little stand in my home shop... I fogged it and sealed up the exhaust ports with rubber gaskets, new partially filled oil filter installed, rubber corks in the oil passages & fuel injector holes, have all the appropriate sensors in the engine holes, and tape across the intake, under the air cleaner...

That is how I would store it, if I modded it. Luckily, I'm inland from the ocean about 10 miles, and the engine will be kept in my insulated shop..

It should be pretty well sealed up... but it's yelling at me for some attention..

Jim Bronson

I live about 10 miles inland from Torrey Pines, and I've never seen corrosion that I would blame on salt air. Your engine should be fine.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

tdrglide

:agree:
I used to live couple doors off the beach front, northwest of LA. Seen what sand and salt can do.

10mi inland, SoCal, different story, inside garage should last many years

hattitude

Quote from: tdrglide on June 09, 2022, 11:11:32 AM:agree:
I used to live couple doors off the beach front, northwest of LA. Seen what sand and salt can do.

10mi inland, SoCal, different story, inside garage should last many years

When I moved to SD, I was about 2 miles from the ocean. I had to park my '80 FXS outside. It was under a cover, on a patio...

That was certainly enough for the salt air to corrode some accessories... especially if there was a scratch in some metal or a crack in chrome...

My main concern was if doing engine mods, and then storing the engine without starting it or breaking it in for several to many years, would have an effect.

I seem to be hearing it won't be an issue... 

jsachs1

I just replaced the 127" Ultima engine (150 H.P.) in my 95 FLHR, with the 92" Evo I removed, and stored 20 years ago. (I shot oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, turned the engine over several times, with the pushrods removed, and stored the Evo in an engine box.) It's back in the bike now, did a leak down, and compression test, and it's SPOT on. Should have it running next week, after I get some customer work done. :wink:
John

JSD

Quote from: jsachs1 on June 09, 2022, 01:49:50 PMI just replaced the 127" Ultima engine (150 H.P.) in my 95 FLHR, with the 92" Evo I removed, and stored 20 years ago. (I shot oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes, turned the engine over several times, with the pushrods removed, and stored the Evo in an engine box.) It's back in the bike now, did a leak down, and compression test, and it's SPOT on. Should have it running next week, after I get some customer work done. :wink:
John
Did the ultima Fail ?

jsachs1

No failure, not at all. Great running engine. I had an offer I couldn't refuse, so at my age I accepted it. My 92" eng. was always a strong runner, plus I wanted to thin the herd at my age  :up: .
John