May 07, 2024, 07:54:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Early Twin Cam crank sprocket question.

Started by billbuilds, June 07, 2022, 10:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbuilds

My 99 FLHR SM says to replace the crank sprocket when servicing the cam. I have replaced the cam twice in my bike but never changed that crank sprocket. Now that it's apart for the third time I am wondering is really necessary and why? Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

xlfan

Are you sure the SM states the crank sprocket, and not the crank sprocket bolt? Or could it be the cam sprocket?

billbuilds

You're right, my reading comprehension was lagging. Page 3-53 Step 19:

Obtain newcrank sprocket and primary cam sprocket flange bolts and flat washers.

Thanks, Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

smoserx1

I have always wondered why the SM says to replace them.  There is not that much torque on them (35/25 ft-lb), can't imagine yield point being approached with that.  FWIW last coupe of times I have has mine out I reused the old ones.

rigidthumper

I have replaced a half dozen broken crank sprocket bolts over the years. Don't know how old or how many times they were reused, but they do make a racket when they quit!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

I don't trust the OEM to reuse them. You can match up the OEM fasteners to good quality grade 8 fasteners.

In some cases where the motor will be run hard I order the ARP kit from Feuling. I would have no issue reusing the ARP fasteners.

billbuilds

The S&S cam installation kit for 99-06 appears to come with one flanged bolt only, no washers. I can't say for certain but from the photo it looks like it's the 5/16-18 crank bolt. Here's what came out of my bike with the 570ES cams. If the S&S kit comes with the crank bolt I'll just need the primary cam bolt and washer. I can't see the need to replace the large 5/16" crank sprocket retaining flat washer.  :nix:   The primary cam sprocket retaining washer is not flat: is it considered a Belleville washer? Thanks, Bill

smoserx1

If you look carefully at both of those washers I bet you will find one side "flatter" than the other.  At least that has been the case with most any washer I have ever used anywhere.  The slightly rounded side goes next to the bolt head, the flatter side next to whatever is being held in place by the fastener.  You will probably find those bolts sold as a kit by Harley with new washers.

billbuilds

Thanks, I called S&S and asked why their cam installation kit for 99-06 twin cams only includes the 5/16-18 flanged nut for the crank. I was told that as long as it threads in straight with no wobble it was fine to reuse the 3/8-24 bolt just be sure to clean it well and use Loctite 262. He also said no problem reusing those washers and that the domed side of the 3/8 washer faces out against the head of the bolt.