April 20, 2024, 03:25:04 AM

News:

2016 Heritage ABS problem...

Started by Fugawee, June 12, 2022, 11:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fugawee

June 12, 2022, 11:03:55 AM Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 11:53:17 AM by Fugawee
A Buddy of Mine from Out of State just rolled in here the other day to ride to Laconia with Us.  He picked up a used 2016 Heritage with 18000 miles on it, a month ago.  The Bike is Stock, except for High Flow Air, and V and H Slip-on Mufflers for Exhaust.  That being done by its previous Owner.  It's a Nice Bike.  Looks and runs well.  He also has a 2012 FLHTK but wanted to take this one on the trip.

The Bikes ABS light started flashing a couple of weeks ago while He was Home and wouldn't go out.
He looked at the Diagnostic Code and it came up with C1021=ABS Front Wheel Speed Sensor Always Zero.
He took it back to the HD Dealer where He bought it, and they said it was the Left Front Wheel Bearing with the Encoder in it, and they replaced both Front Wheel Bearings at their expense.  They said the Sensor was OK, and all was good for approx. 100 miles.
He got here the other day and said that the ABS light was once again flashing.  We looked at it, checked the Codes and there were none.  All Systems...No Codes.
We checked the Bearings, and they are installed correctly.
We checked the ABS Wiring under the Gas Tank, and elsewhere...all appears to be good.
Checked the entire Brake Systems...Front and Rear for Wear, Wiring, Fluids, etc.  Nothing bad found.
We removed the Negative Battery Cable for quite some time, thinking that the ECM, BCM, Speedo, and ABS Systems may need to take a break and re-set themselves when re-attaching the Cable,  Nope...that didn't do it.
He called the Dealer and told them the story yesterday.  They were like, "Well You know...it COULD be this or that, so bring it back.  But with No Codes, Hmmm...We'll have to take a look".  He then explained that He's now out of State...it'll be a while.  They said No Problem, You should be OK...but ABS probably not working, but You'll still have brakes.  Which He does.  Bring it back when You get home.
We have used the HD Service and Electrical Diagnostic Manual and followed all their instructions.  No Codes, and still a Flashing ABS Light.

The Bike is here at My House while He is making up for lost time with a Woman He knows.  I would like to try and solve this mystery while He is "re-bonding".

Anybody dealt with this? And maybe have a simple solution or recommendation?  I don't own any Bikes with ABS.  Anything to Crazy or Intense and He can take it back to the Dealer.  He doesn't really care right now, other than the Light driving Him nuts, and is still taking it to Laconia.  My simple solution to Him was a piece of tape over the light for the time being if it's driving Him that nuts.

Thanks in Advance for any ideas, recommendations, or solutions.

And, I forgot to mention...I have searched the Site here with "ABS Light Flashing", and read it all.

Fugawee

Well hold off on any and all responses.  Thanks to those of You who read about the issue.
"Loverboy", who owns the Bike, just showed back up here at My house with a smile on His face, and a spring in His step.  Must have had a good night.  Perfect timing...I'm ready to start grilling.
I asked Him what He wanted to do about His ABS issue.  His response was, screw it...the Brakes work, and I let the Dealer straighten it out.  If that's what He wants to do, is good enough for Me.  It's His Bike, and I do know that the Bike has Brakes and will stop.
All He keeps saying is..."Man I'm beat".  My heart bleeds for Him.  He'll be out like a light by 9PM, if He makes it that far.